Peasants Movement 2
Area: Malabar region
Year: Around 1921
Leaders: Leaders of the Khilafat Non Cooperation Movement like Gandhiji, Shaukat Ali and Maulana Azad supported Mappila cause.
- Most of the Mappila tenants were Muslims whereas the landlords were mostly Hindus. Local Mappilas expressed their resentment against lack of security, high rents and other atrocities.
- Immediate cause of the revolt was the arrest of a priest leader, Ali Musaliar which caused large scale riots.
- Large scale riots happened in the Malabar region.
- Initially the revolt was against the British authorities but in later part it acquired communal angle.
Area: Bardoli taluqa in Surat
Year: January 1926
Leader: Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
Government authorities increased the land revenue by 30 per cent.
- Sardar Vallabbhai Patel was called to lead the movement.
- Workers camps were organised in the taluqa.
- Bardoli Satyagraha Patrika was launched to mobilize public opinion.
- Door to door campaign was launched.
- Peasants made a oath to not to pay taxes and those who didn’t obeyed were socially boycotted.
- Resisted eviction and forceful confiscation of the land.
- As a result land revenue was reduced to just increase of 6.03%.
- Although the movement was local but it received nationwide support, even Gandhiji lend his support to the movement.