Q1) What is the cause of fertility of alluvial soils of the Ganges Plain?
a) Richness in humus
b) Richness in mineral content.
c)They are provided with intense irrigation
d) They are replenished by annual floods.
2. Which of the following statements is true:
i) Red soils are reddish in colour due to diffusion of iron in crystalline and metamorphic rocks.
ii) Laterite soils are not much useful for agriculture but provide good building material
a) Only i
b) Only ii
c) Both i and ii
d) None of the above
3. Soil salinity and soil alkalinity are the results of :
a) Over irrigation by canals
b) Irrigation by tube wells
c) Irrigation by ponds
d) lack of irrigation
4. Black soil requires least tilling because
a) It is very fertile
b) It contains lots of minerals
c) It has originated from volcanic eruption
d) It develops cracks in the dry season and loosened particles fall in the cracks
Ans: d. Black soils have self ploughing capability due to development of these cracks
5. Which of the following statements is correct:
i) Khadar is light coloured and less kankary in composition
ii) Khadar is deficient in lime, phosphoric acid and humus
iii) Bhangar soils are made up of old alluvium, and are generally dark coloured
iv) Most of the red soils have been formed by weathering of ancient crystalline and metamorphic rocks
a) i and ii
b) i, ii and iii
c) ii, iii and iv
d) i, ii, iii and iv
6. Which of the following soils are rich in nitrogen but are deficient in phosphate?
a) Alluvial soil
b) Black soil
c) Terai soil
d) Red soil
Ans. c. Terai is an ill-drained, damp (marshy) and thickly forested narrow tract (15-30 km wide) to the south of Bhabar running parallel to it. he underground streams of the Bhabar belt re-emerge in this belt. It is a swampy lowland with silty soils.
7. Identify the correct order of soil erosion
a) Splash erosion, sheet erosion, rill erosion, gully erosion
b) Sheet erosion, splash erosion, gully erosion, rill erosion
c) Rill erosion, gully erosion, sheet erosion, splash erosion
d) Gully erosion, Rill erosion, Sheet erosion, Splash erosion
8. Which of the following laid the foundation of the British Rule?
a) Pitt’s India Act, 1784
b) Regulating Act, 1773
c) Indian Council Act, 1861
d) Indian Council Act, 1892
9. Which of the following Acts is regarded as a significant Constitutional landmark?
a) Charter Act, 1853
b) Indian Council Act, 1861
c) Indian Council Act, 1892
d) Government of India Act, 1919.
10. Match the following
A. Terai soils 1.Maharastra
B. Red soils 2. Uttar Pradesh
C. Black soils 3. Odisha
D. Laterite soils 4. Western Ghats
a) A1, B4, C1, D2
b) A3, B1, C3, D4
c) A1, B4, C2, D3
d) A2, B1, C4, D3
11. Which of the following provisions of Constitution of India were given affect on 26 November, 1949?
2. Emergency provisions
4. Federal System
a) Only 1
b) 2 and 3
c) 1 and 4
d) 1 and 3
12. Who was the Chairman of States Committee in Constituent Assembly?
a) Dr. B.R. Ambedkar
b) Jawahar Lal Nehru
c) Dr. Rajendra Prasad
d) Sardar Patel
13. The members of Constituent Assembly were :
a) Directly elected
b) Nominated by governor General
c) Nominated by British Government in London
d) Elected by Legislatures of various provinces