Daily Current Affairs – 9 March 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
Centre to set up at least one PMBJP Kendra in every block of the country
- Government plans to set up at least one Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya JanAushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) Kendra in every block of India by the end of 2020.
- The announcement was made by the Union Minister of Development of North Eastern Region Dr.Jitendra Singh at the Jan Aushadhi Diwas celebration in Kathua, J&K.
Third all-Women Post Office opens in New Delhi
- Department of Posts, Delhi Circle has opened the third all-Women Post Office in the national capital.
- The post office was inaugurated under New Delhi South West Division to commemorate the International Women’s Day celebrations.
Centre to make Sanitary pad disposal bags mandatory from 2021 January
- The Centre is to make it mandatory for the sanitary napkin companies to provide bio-degradable disposal bags from January 2021.
- The information was announced by the Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar at an International Women’s Day event in Pune on 8 March.
IIM-Bangalore launched the Mahatma Gandhi National Fellowship program
- Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) launched the Mahatma Gandhi National Fellowship (MGNF) program in collaboration with the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE), GoI, and State Skill Development Missions (SSDMs).
- There are over 75 students in the first batch of the program. The batch has 44% women candidates.
Monitoring cell inaugurated under Mission Bhagiratha
- A dedicated monitoring cell was inaugurated under Mission Bhagiratha in Bhongir Circle, Telangana.
- It was inaugurated by the Superintending Engineer of Mission Bhagiratha.
- The cell invites grievances and issues in the supply of the tapped drinking water.
BANKING & FINANCE
Centre imposes withdrawal limit for depositors of Yes Bank
- GoI has imposed a withdrawal limit of Rs.50,000 for depositors of Yes Bank for one month.
- The notification regarding this was issued by the Ministry of Finance.
- The cap will be in effect till 3 April.
- GoI has allowed a few exemptions in cases like higher education, medical emergency, marriage, and unavoidable emergency for the limit on withdrawal.
EPFO lowers interest rate on deposits to 8.5 pc for 2019-20
- Retirement fund body, Employees’ Provident Fund Organization, (EPFO) lowered the interest rate on provident fund deposits to 8.5 per cent for the current financial year.
- Earlier it was 8.65 percent.
President Ram Nath Kovind conferred 2019 Nari Shakti Puraskar
- President Ram Nath Kovind presented Nari Shakti Puraskar or Woman Power Award for the year 2019 on International Women’s Day, which is March 8, at a special ceremony held in Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi.
- 15 eminent women were awarded the Nari Shakti Puraskar 2019.
- The award recognized the significant efforts of the women who rendered distinguished services towards the emancipation of women, especially vulnerable and marginalized women.
Women scientists received international exposure through Indo-US Fellowship for WISTEMM
- Department of Science and Technology (DST) of Ministry of Science and Technology in association with Indo-US Science & Technology Forum (IUSSTF) under the program the Indo-US Fellowship for Women in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (WISTEMM) provided international exposure to several women scientists.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh conferred the 4th Edition of WTI
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh conferred the Fourth Edition of the Women Transforming India Awards (WTI) on 8 March 2020, the International Women’s Day.
- The award ceremony was organized by NITI Aayog’s Women Entrepreneurship Platform.
- The awards recognized women from diverse fields, including healthcare, education, and food tech, amongst other fields.
WTI recognized 30 finalists, and 15 winners were awarded. The winners of the award are:
♦ Dr. Priyanka Mokshmar, Co-founder of Vaayu Home Appliance
♦ Ramya Venkataraman, Founder of Centre for Teacher Accreditation (CENTA)
♦ Shilpi Kapoor, Founder of BarrierBreak
♦ Rinka Banerjee, Founder of Thinking Forks
♦ Nidhi Pant, who combats the issue around waste and farmer living standard through her Science for Society team
♦ Anupriya Balikai, Founder of Spookfish Innovations
♦ Kalpana Sankar, Founder of Hand in Hand
♦ Khushboo Jain, Founder of ImpactGuru
♦ Sneha Sundaram, Founder of Kutuki
♦ Jayanti Pradhan, an agro-processor and farmer from Odisha
♦ Jugnu Jain, Founder of CSO
♦ Pratyusha Pareddy, Founder of NemoCare
♦ Poonam Bir Kasturi, Founder of Daily Dump
♦ Ruchi Jain, Founder of Taru Naturals
♦ Sujata Sahu, Founder of 17000 ft Foundation
♦ Dr. Praveen Nair, Founder Trustee of Salaam Baalak Trust, was awarded a Special Jury Award.
Science & Technology
UAHS develops Sahyadri Megha, a new red variety of paddy
- University of Agricultural and Horticultural Sciences (UAHS) of Shivamogga developed ‘Sahyadri Megha,’ a new red variety of paddy, as a part of its initiative to prevent a decline in the area under paddy cultivation.
- The new red variety of paddy is resistant to blast disease and is rich in nutrients.