Daily Current Affairs – 9 February 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
NCL establishes R&D centre ‘SARAS’ for sustainable coal mining
- The Northern Coalfields Ltd (NCL) has established a research and development centre, named ‘Science and Applied Research Alliance and Support (SARAS)’.
- This research and development centre focuses on the sustainable model for development in coal mining.
- The R&D centre will be the centre of excellence, infrastructure up-gradation and IT initiatives for the subsidiary of the Coal India Ltd.
Ek Bharat Shreshth Bharat Campaign gets underway across country
- An 18 day long focused Ek Bharat Shreshth Bharat Campaign gets underway across the country.
- The campaign, being organised by the Information and Broadcasting Ministry, will continue till 28th of this month.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had mooted the idea of a cultural connect between different regions during the Rashtriya Ekta Divas held in 2015.
- The broad objectives of Ek Bharat Shrestha Bharat include celebrating the Unity in Diversity of our nation and promoting the spirit of national integration through engagement between all states and union territories.
- During this period, they carry out a structured engagement with one another in the spheres of language, literature, cuisine, festivals, cultural events, and tourism.
India ranks 40th in Global Intellectual Property Index 2020
- India has been ranked 40th out of 53 countries on a global intellectual property index 2020.
- The US, UK, Sweden, France and Germany remained the top five economies on the intellectual property index in 2019 retaining their spots from the last year.
IIMB ranks 3 in the list of Top Business Schools of 2020
- Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) has ranked 3rd in MOOCLab’s Business School Rankings 2020 for its provision, design and delivery of Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs).
- IIM Bangalore succeeds HEC Paris (France) and Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania (USA).
Hyderabad Metro Rail becomes 2nd largest metro network in India
- Hyderabad Metro Rail, the world’s largest public-private partnership project, is now the 2nd-largest operational metro network in the country covering 69.2 km.
- With the launch of another 11-km stretch, Hyderabad Metro Rail has become the second-largest metro rail network in the country after Delhi.
Uttar Pradesh Govt to launch internship scheme for school college students
- Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Yogi Adityanath has announced an internship scheme for the tenth, 12th and graduate students of the state to brighten employment prospects.
Chhattisgarh to impose permanent ban on hookah bars
- The Chhattisgarh government has decided to impose a permanent ban on hookah bars across the state and will soon declare the license issued for running hookah centres “illegal”.
- Taking a decision the Bhupesh Baghel cabinet stated that the order on issuing ban will soon be taken by the urban administration department.
- In recent years the Chhattisgarh state has witnessed a substantial increase in the hookah bars coming up in different towns. According to the officials, over a thousand hookah centres are run merely on the basis of Gumasta license in the state.
CM Jagan Mohan Reddy opens Andhra’s first Disha police station at Rajamahendravaram
- Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy inaugurated the first Disha police station in the state at Rajamahendravaram in East Godavari district.
- Jagan also launched an app for women in distress to get immediate response from the police.
- The AP state government, after the alleged gang-rape and brutal killing of a veterinarian in neighbouring Telangana last year, came up with the Disha Act which envisages completion of investigation into heinous sexual assaults on women and children in seven days and trial in 14 working days, where there is adequate conclusive evidence, thereby reducing the total judgement time to 21 days.
ADB approves the funding of $2 million to combat Novel Coronavirus
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved the funding of USD 2 million to combat the spread of novel coronavirus (nCoV).
- The funds will support the efforts to stop the outspread of novel coronavirus (nCoV) by supplementing ongoing regional technical assistance and strengthening response capacity in China, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Myanmar.
BANKING & FINANCE
Amazon to set up two data centres in Telangana with USD 1.6 billion investment
- In what is being seen as a massive investment by Amazon in Telangana, the tech giant has sought environmental clearance for the construction of two data centres at a cost of Rs 11,624 crore ($1.6 billion).
- The data centres are expected to come up at two locations on the outskirts of Hyderabad in Ranga Reddy district. More than 90 per cent of the investment would go towards the high-end computer and storage equipment that would be housed at these two data centres.
- They would help in developing an Amazon Web Services region in Telangana.While one data centre is proposed at Chandanvelly village in Shabad mandal, the other is proposed at Meerkhanpet village in Kandukur mandal, which is already part of the land parcel under Hyderabad Pharma City project of the State government.
Summit & Conference
African Union 2020 Summit Commences
- The annual African Union Summit has kicked off in Addis Ababa. This 33rd Ordinary Summit, which commenced on 21st January, will run until the 10th of February.
- The summit is being held under the African Union’s theme for the year 2020 Silencing the Guns: Creating Conducive Conditions For Africa’s Development.
- Silencing the Guns is a commitment to achieve the Aspirations of Africa’s Agenda 2063, specifically Aspiration 4, which envisions a peaceful and secure Africa, thereby making peace a reality for African people.
Science & Technology
Astronomers discover Ultramassive Galaxy XMM-2599 from early universe
- The International team of astronomers led by scientists at the University of California, United States(US) have discovered an Ultramassive monster galaxy dubbed as XMM-2599.