Daily Current Affairs – 8 March 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
International Women Day 2020 observed on March 8th
- International Women’s Day is observed every year on March 8 to celebrate the women’s movement and struggle for equality.
- Theme: I am Generation Equality: Realizing Women’s Rights
Poshan Abhiyaan celebrated its second anniversary
- Second anniversary of the Centre’s Poshan Abhiyaan Poshan Pakhwada was celebrated on 8 March.
- The focus of the two-week-long Poshan Pakhwada 2020 is ‘Men for Nutrition.’
- The aim is to increase male engagement in Poshan Abhiyaan. It aims to improve Nutritional Indicators.
- NITI Aayog’s data states that Andhra Pradesh ranked first in the overall implementation of Poshan Abhiyan.
Google India Launches Skill Development Programme For Women
- Google India introduced DigiPivot, a skilling programme designed for women who are looking to return to their corporate careers after a break or simply planning to make mid-career shifts to digital marketing.
- Developed in association with Avtar, a career portal service for women, and the Indian School of Business, the programme aims to influence the overall gender mix in the digital marketing landscape in India and will provide an opportunity for 200 women professionals to re-skill themselves.
Smriti Irani releases book titled Chronicles of Change Champions
- Union Minister for Women and Child Development Smriti Zubin Irani released a book titled Chronicles of Change Champions in New Delhi.
- The book is a compilation of 25 innovative initiatives taken at the state and district levels under the Prime Minister’s flagship scheme of Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao.
Khelo India Winter Games begin at Gulmarg in Kashmir
- Union Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju inaugurated the first-ever five-day Khelo India Winter Games at Gulmarg.
- Jammu and Kashmir’s Gulmarg hosting Khelo India Winter Games 2020 from March 7th to 11th.
- The sports shall be organized every year at Gulmarg.
India ranks 12th in ultra-high net worth individuals
- The world witnessed an increase of 31,000 ultra-high net worth individuals (UHNWIs) in 2019. This translates into a 6.4 per cent jump over 2018.
- According to Knight Frank, India ranks 12th and had 5,986 such individuals in 2019, which is likely to reach 10,354 by 2024.
- The number of billionaires in India, on the other hand, is likely to reach 113 by 2024, up from 104 in 2019.
- Topped by US
India approved as observer of Indian Ocean commission
- India approved as a member of the Indian Ocean Commission, the inter-governmental organization that coordinates maritime governance in the south-western Indian Ocean.
- India made the application to join as an observer of the organization last month.
- IOC has four observers – China, Malta, European Union and International Organisation of La Francophonie (OIF) IOC
BANKING & FINANCE
PhonePe switches to ICICI for UPI
- As the Yes Bank fiasco hit UPI-based transactions last week, PhonePe that was solely using Yes Bank’s services worked overnight with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) and ICICI bank to ensure all its services were up and running within a day.
- PhonePe, with close to 20 crore users, saw an extended service outage, which started immediately after the RBI moratorium on Yes Bank on March 5, lasting for nearly 24 hours.
- The company worked with the NPCI and ICICI bank, its new UPI partner.
Paytm, Hyderabad Metro tie up for QR-based tickets
- Hyderabad Metro Rail Ltd has launched Paytm’s QR-code-based metro ticketing system.
- The new service will enable commuters to travel seamlessly and avoid queues to buy tokens at the metro stations.
- They can now simply purchase a QR ticket on their Paytm app, which can be displayed at the Automatic Fare Collection (AFC) gates to proceed for the journey.
Summit & Conference
4th International Diabetes Summit 2020 started in Pune
- Fourth International Diabetes Summit 2020 inaugurated at JW Marriot Hotel Pune.
- Lt Gen Dr. Madhuri Kanitkar (Deputy Chief of Integrated Defense Staff under the Chief of Defense Staff) was the Chief Guest, and Dr. Bhushan Patwardhan (Vice-Chairman, University Grants Commission, New Delhi) was the Guest of Honour.