Daily Current Affairs – 7 February 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation
- The International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation is a United Nations (UN) campaign held on February 6 to stop genital mutilation to girls and women.
- It not only violates a person’s rights to health, security, physical integrity but also cruel, inhuman, right to life when procedures result in death.
- Theme for 2020 is “Unleashing Youth Power: One decade of accelerating actions for zero female genital mutilation.”
‘Pink City’ becomes certified UNESCO World Heritage City
- Jaipur “The Pink City” has been certified by the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) as the World Heritage site.
- The certification was done by the UNESCO Director General Audrey Azoulay during an event held in Jaipur, Rajasthan.
- As part of certification, the World Heritage City certificate was handover by UNESCO Director General to Minister of Urban Development Shanti Dhariwal.
India ranked 2nd in producer of Crude Steel
- As per World Steel Association data, India became the second-largest steel producer of crude steel after China 2019, by replacing Japan.
- India’s crude steel production in 2019 was at 111.2 MT, an increase of 1.7 per cent from 109.3 MT in 2018.
- China remains number one with 996.3 million tonnes in 2019. The United States and Russia rank fourth and fifth respectively.
Government has set target of installation of 100 GigaWatt solar power by December 2022
- The Government has set a target of installation of 100 GigaWatt solar power and 60 GigaWatt wind power capacity in the country by December 2022 by implementing various schemes.
- Energy Minister R K Singh stated, majority of solar power projects are installed with private investments.
- He added that Grid connected solar power capacity of over 33 thousand seven hundred megawatt has been installed in the country till 31st December last year.
- over 37 thousand five hundred megawatt of wind power was also installed till the end of last year.
Janasevaka scheme launched by Karnataka Government
- To ensure the home delivery of the government services, Karnataka Government has launched a scheme “Janasevaka”.
- The scheme is initially launched in a few municipal corporation wards to ensure home delivery of various services.
SC notify all states to established Gram Nyayalayas
- The Supreme Court has directed the states to establish Gram Nyayalayas within four weeks’.
- Gram Nyayalayas are mobile village courts established under Gram Nyayalayas Act,2008.
IOC signs 1st term contract for Russian crude oil
- Indian Oil Corp (IOC) and Russian Rosneft signed 1st term contract for importing 2 Million Metric Tonnes of Urals grade crude oil to India for the year 2020.
- India is the 3rd largest Energy Consumer in the world, India imports globally 83% of oil to meet its oil need.
- India has to enlarge its sources for oil imports away from the Middle East oil-producing countries.
Britain’s Prince unveils children’s protection fund for India
- Britain’s Prince Charles has unveiled a new children’s protection fund for India as part of British Asian Trust.
- The charity founded by him in 2007 to fight poverty in South Asia.
- American singer Katy Perry as the ambassador of the new fund.
Sri Lanka PM Rajapaksa to visit India on February 7
- Sri Lankan Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa will undertake a four-day state visit to India and hold talks on a number of key areas including trade, defence and maritime security cooperation.
- The visit, beginning February 7, will be the Rajapaksa senior’s first overseas visit since his brother Gotabaya was elected President in November
- He will have meetings with President Ram Nath Kovind, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar.
- The scheduled meetings will build on the strong relationship that already exists between the two countries.
BANKING & FINANCE
RBI to conduct “Financial Literacy Week 2020”
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will conduct the “Financial Literacy Week 2020″ from February 10 to February 14, 2020.
- Theme of the Financial Literacy Week 2020 is “Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs)”.
- This year India’s central bank is focusing on the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises.
- The Financial Literacy Week 2020 will aim to aware people about the formalisation, collateral free loan, discounting of receivables, rehabilitation of stressed units and timely repayment.
RBI’s 6th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy 2019-20 released: RBI keeps repo rate unchanged at 5.15%
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor Shaktikanta Das-led Monetary Policy Committee announced its decision to keep the key lending rates at existing levels.
- The repo rate – or the interest rate at which the RBI lends short-term funds to commercial banks – was left steady at 15 per cent, the lowest level recorded in more than nine years.
Policy Rates under Liquidity Adjustment Facility (LAF)
- Repo Rate: 5.15%
- Reverse Repo Rate: 4.90%
- Marginal standing facility (MSF) Rate: 5.40%
- Bank Rate Reserve Ratios: 5.40%
- Cash reserve Ratio (CRR): 4%
- Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR): 18.25%
NABARD estimates Rs 34,421 crore credit potential for Chhattisgarh
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) projected a credit potential of Rs 34421.38 crore for Chhattisgarh in the financial year 2020-21.
- The State Focus Paper (SFP) that was released by Panchayat and Rural Development Minister T S Singhdeo at the state credit seminar noted that the theme for financial year 2020-21 had been “Hi-tech agriculture practices.”
- NABARD Chief General Manager M Soren informed that the total credit potential for Chhattisgarh for the financial year 2020-21 is Rs 3977.59 crore ahead of previous year’s projection of Rs 30443.79 crore.
PhonePe to create world’s biggest ATM network of 2 mn in India by year end
- PhonePe says it will by the end of this year create an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) network of 2 million users, helping the Walmart-owned service to fight rivals Alibaba-backed Paytm, Google Pay and Amazon Pay as they compete in India’s crowded digital payments market.
- The service—billed as India’s first and world’s largest—enables neighbourhood stores to act as ATMs for PhonePe users. It had a pilot run in Delhi-NCR and is now being rolled out across 500,000 shops in 300 cities.
- The PhonePe app to locate shops offering the ATM service and then click the “withdraw” button to transfer an amount to the merchant.
- Once the amount is transferred, the merchant gives the customer cash equal to the amount transferred.
- PhonePe will not charge for the service and it has set a withdrawal limit of Rs 1,000 for now.
AIIB likely to lend $3 bn to Andhra Pradesh for development projects
- The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) offered to extend a $3 billion loan to Andhra Pradesh for development projects.
- This was revealed at a meeting of AIIB representatives with chief minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy, according to the chief minister’s office.
- Reddy told AIIB officials that his government intended to utilise these funds to construct ports at Bhavanapadu and Machilipatnam in Srikakulam and Krishna districts, respectively, apart from other infrastructure projects in the state.
Summit & Conference
“Central Asia Business Council” launched in New Delhi
- The “Central Asia Business Council” was launched in New Delhi.
- The event was organized by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) and addressed by India’s External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar.
- This was the first instance when the business chambers of all five Central Asian states i.e. Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and Tajikistan, were brought together by India to push trade and investment partnership.
Lucknow hosts 5th India-Russia Military Industrial Conference
- Lucknow hosted the 5th India-Russia Military Industrial Conference.
- The India-Russia Military Industrial Conference was attended by over 100 Russian and over 200 Indian industry leaders.
- The conference was held on the sidelines of the Defence Expo 2020 taking place in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- Indian & Russian companies signed Memorandum of Understanding under the Make in India initiative and will boost the high level strategic and real technological partnership between the two countries.
22nd International Seafood Show begins in Kochi, Kerala
- The 22nd edition of India International Seafood Show (IISS) begins in Kochi, Kerala.
- The Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA), under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India, in association with the Seafood Exporters Association of India (SEAI), is organized this event.
- Theme of this year’s seafood show is “Blue Revolution- Beyond Production to Value Addition”.
Rishabh Pant becomes brand ambassador of JSW Steel
- Jindal South West (JSW) Steel has appointed Indian cricketer Rishabh Pant as its brand ambassador.
- Pant will help promote JSW’s steel products which include Colouron, colour-coated sheets and JSW Neosteel TMT bars, for a three year period.
President of India presents International Gandhi Awards for Leprosy 2019
- The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind has presented the International Gandhi Awards for Leprosy for the year 2019 to Dr N.S. Dharmashaktu under the Indian nomination (individual) category and the Leprosy Mission Trust under the institutional category in New Delhi.
- The annual award has been instituted by Gandhi Memorial Leprosy Foundation to recognise the work of individuals and organisations who have worked tirelessly to fight this disease and the prejudices associated with it.
Veteran writer Manoj Das to receive Mystic Kalinga Literary Award
- Celebrated Odia and English writer Manoj Das to receive the much coveted Mystic Kalinga Literary Award (Indian and Global Languages).
- The award will be presented during the two-day 4th Mystic Kalinga Festivalof verse, music, dance and discussion at Swosti Premium
- The central theme of 2020 Mystic Kalinga Festival is “Divine Madness: Knowledge, Ecstasy, and Transformation”.
Science & Technology
NASA astronaut Christina Koch returns to Earth after record-setting stay in space
- NASA’s astronaut Christina Koch returned from space to Earth safely.
- Koch returned after an 11-month mission, breaking the world record for the most time spent by a woman in space.
- Koch has spent 328 days on International Space Station ISS, surpassing the previous record of 289 days held by fellow American Peggy Whitson.