Daily Current Affairs – 26 February 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
1st anniversary of National War Memorial being observed on 25 February
- The first anniversary of the iconic National War Memorial is being observed on 25th February.
- The memorial is a fitting tribute to those heroes who sacrificed their lives in the line of duty during various wars and internal security challenges since Independence.
- The monument was dedicated to the nation by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 25th February last year.
- Chief of the Defence Staff General Bipin Rawat and veterans from the three services will lay wreaths and pay homage to the fallen soldiers.
Losar festival celebrated in Himachal Pradesh
- Losar festival was celebrated at Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh.
- The festival is celebrated on the 1st day of the lunisolar Tibetan calendar also called Tibetan New Year.
- Losar is a festival in Tibetan Buddhism. Prayers were offered at Dorje Drak Monastery in Shimla.
- Cultural events were held in different parts of the state as the Tibetan community celebrated the festival.
Madhya Pradesh becomes 1st state to launch unified vehicle registration card
- Madhya Pradesh has become the 1st state in the country to introduce the unified registration card and the 2nd state to launch the unified driving license after Uttar Pradesh.
India & US sign defence deals worth $3 billion
- India and the United States finalized defence deals worth 3 billion dollars.
- India has agreed to purchase USD 3 billion worth advanced American military equipment including Apache and MH-60 Romeo helicopters, which are the finest in the world.
Egypt former President Mohammed Hosni Mubarak passes away
- Egypt’s former President Mohammed Hosni Mubarak passed away.
- He ruled the country for 30 years.
- After almost three decades in power, Mubarak was forced to resign on February 11, 2011, following 18 days of protests around the country.
3,000 kilometre long power grid from Myanmar-Thailand to India: BIMSTEC
- Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is working on connecting about 3,000-kilometre long power grid from Myanmar-Thailand to India.
- This was announced by the Energy Adviser to the Prime Minister of Bangladesh Dr Tawfiq-E-Elahi Chowdhury while inaugurating the energy conference of BIMSTEC in Dhaka .
BANKING & FINANCE
NPCI launches UPI awareness campaign “UPI Chalega”
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has launched an industry campaign named “UPI Chalega” to promote UPI as Easy, Safe, and Instant mode of payment.
- The “UPI Chalega” campaign is aimed to guide users towards the right usage of Unified Payments Interface (UPI) and help create a habitual change, use of UPI in their daily life. NPCI has launched the campaign in association with the payment ecosystem players.
Canara Bank ‘Insta-Demat’ facility
- Canara Bank Securities Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Canara Bank, has launched a facility to open ‘Insta-Demat’ accounts online, in association with the National Securities Depositories Limited (NSDL).
Summit & Conference
16th Edition of Joint Ministerial Commission between India and Australia Held in New Delhi
- The Joint Ministerial Commission (JMC) between India and Australia was held in New Delhi.
- This was the 16th edition of the session. Piyush Goyal, Minister of Railways and Commerce & Industry, Government of India and honourable Senator Simon Birmingham, Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, Government of Australia co-chaired the joint ministerial commission held between two countries.
National Conference on Coastal Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience 2020 held in New Delhi
- National Conference on Coastal Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience (CDRR&R) 2020 was held in New Delhi.
- The national conference was organised by the National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM).
Abhay Kumar Singh becomes new CMD of NHPC
- Hydropower giant National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC) announced the appointment of Abhay Kumar Singh as the company’s Chairman & Managing Director.
- He will replace Ratish Kumar.
Lifetime Achievement Award conferred on TNAU VC N Kumar
- University Vice-Chancellor Dr N Kumar has been conferred the ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ by ICAR National Research Centre for Banana.
- The award was conferred during the four-day International Conference on Banana 2020, in recognition to his specific contribution to banana industry through systematic banana breeding programmes which was started in TNAU during 1998.
Science & Technology
ISRO to launch Geo Imaging Satellite “GISAT-1”
- The Indian Space Research Organisation will launch the Geo Imaging Satellite “GISAT-1”. GISAT-1 will be launched by Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle (GSLV-F10) from the Second Launch Pad of Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) SHAR, Sriharikota.
- The launch of GISAT-1 has been tentatively scheduled at 17:43 Hrs IST on March 05, 2020.