Daily Current Affairs – 25 February 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
Union Minister of State for Home Affairs inaugurates National Cyber Research Centre
- Union Minister of State for Home Affairs G Kishan Reddy inaugurated National Cyber Research, Innovation and Capacity Building Centre at Central Detective Training Institute (CDTI) campus located at Ramanthapur in Hyderabad.
- The Minister also stated that the MHA is also working on setting up Regional Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (R4C) in the States. It is in collaboration with I4C to further strengthen the cyber combat capabilities of the nation. CDTI Hyderabad will prove to be a central hub for entire South India. he added.
Andhra CM launches ‘Jagananna Vasthi Deevena’ scheme to provide financial assistance to students
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy launched scheme named ‘Jagananna Vasthi Deevena’, under which a financial assistance of Rs 2,300 crore would be provided to students pursuing various post- intermediate courses to meet hostel and mess expenses. The Chief Minister launched the programme in Vizianagaram district in north coastal Andhra.
- In all 11,87,904 students pursuing ITI, polytechnic, under-graduate and post-graduate education would benefit from the scheme.
- While ITI students would get Rs 10,000 each, polytechnic students would get Rs 15,000 and under-graduates and post-graduates Rs 20,000 each
Mumbai Airport Launches World’s Largest Temp-Controlled Facility to Store Agro, Pharma Products
- Mumbai airport, run by a joint venture between Airports Authority of India and GVK, announced the launch of an exclusive terminal for processing and storage of agro and pharma products.
- The facility will be operated by cargo handling service provider and MIAL’s business partner.
- Mumbai airport is the first airport in the country and the third in Asia to obtain “IATA CEIV Pharma” accreditation, a global industry recognition supporting the air transport industry, and is in full compliance with pharmaceutical manufacturers requirements
- ‘Export Cold Zone’ can hold over 700 tonnes of such cargo at one time with a combined annual capacity of 5.25 lakh tones.
J&K to set up Tribal Research Institute by next fiscal year
- UT of Jammu & Kashmir will set up a Tribal Research Institute (TRI) by next fiscal year to promote tribal practices and their art, culture and languages.
- Secretary Cooperative and Tribal Affairs, Abdul Majid Bhat stated in Srinagar that Tribal Research Institute will be a centre of excellence to focus on studying and promoting tribal practices and their art, culture and languages in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Central government has provided additional funds to streamline the pattern and establishment of TRI in Jammu and Kashmir. He stated Tribal Welfare Department initiated a slew of initiatives to promote language and cognitive language skills among tribal population children at the primary school level.
- He stated 17 new hostels are coming up for tribal students, while as 19 others are already functional.
Govt aims to make Chhattisgarh a steel hub of the country: Dharmendra Pradhan
- Union Minister for Petroleum, Natural Gas and Steel Dharmendra Pradhan visited iron ore mines of the Bhilai Steel Plant in Dallirajhra town in Balod district and laid the foundation of a beneficiation plant there.
- Dharmendra Pradhan has stated that the government aims to make Chhattisgarh a steel hub of the country.
- Mr. Pradhan stated that the steel industry has an important role to play in making India a five trillion dollar economy.
- During his two-day visit to Chhattisgarh, Union Steel Minister visited the Bhilai Steel Plant in Durg district and held meetings with the plant officials. He directed the officials of Steel Authority of India Ltd- SAIL to draw an Action Plan to enhance production and ensure safety at its plants.
Government amends provisions of Arms Act, 1959 and Arms Rules, 2016
- As per the new rules, now international medalists and renowned shooters are allowed to keep additional weapons up to a total of twelve under the exempted category, which earlier was seven.
- Government has amended provisions of Arms Act, 1959 and Arms Rules, 2016 to increase the number of firearms that can be kept by shooters and enhanced quantity of ammunition fixed for practice for the year. Home Ministry stated, shooting is an important Olympic sport in India and Indian shooters have excelled in international competitions. It stated, keeping this in mind, the Ministry has made provisions to provide adequate firearms and ammunition to the shooters for their practice. The provisions will greatly facilitate their shooting practice.
- Through the amendments it has also been clarified that no license is required for Indian citizens for acquisitions, possession of small arms falling under the category of curio.
South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar sworn in as vice president
- South Sudan rebel leader Riek Machar has been sworn in as first vice president.
- Capital of South Sudan is Juba and Currency is South Sudanese pound.
BANKING & FINANCE
NABARD sanctions over Rs 400 cr to boost infrastructure in J&K
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned an amount of over 400 crore rupees to the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir during the current financial year for giving boost to the infrastructure in the rural areas.
- It includes construction of Cattle Breeding Farm at Chatha Jammu. NABARD has also sanctioned 87 crore rupees for construction of 82 rural roads and 3 bridges earlier this year. The construction of roads and bridges would provide all weather improved connectivity to 461 remote villages. The funding is a part of the NABARD’s Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) which is aimed at augmenting rural infrastructure.
- An amount of 66 crore rupees has been sanctioned for implementation of 38 water supply schemes. The sanction includes augmentation of 27 existing water supply schemes and construction of 11 new water supply schemes. These water supply schemes are aimed at providing safe and potable drinking water to rural households. The schemes will benefit over 3.5 lakh people across 86 villages in 17 districts.
NPCI launches ‘UPI Chalega’ campaign for payment mode to gain currency
- The campaign is aimed to guide users towards the right use of UPI and help create a habitual change, to use UPI in their daily lives. The campaign also focusses on the safety aspects while transacting on UPI-enabled apps.
- The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) is keen to further popularise its flagship Unified Payments Interface (UPI), which has clocked over 100 crore transactions per month.
- The number of UPI transactions touched 130.5 crore last month, and the total amount transacted was at an all-time high of ₹16-lakh crore. As many as 144 banks are on the platform.
- While UPI has already shown robust growth, Rai stated, the objective is to reach out to the next set of users, across geographies, and encourage them to switch from cash. With this in mind, NPCI, along with payment service providers, has co-created an industry campaign ‘UPI Chalega’, to promote it as an easy, safe and instant mode of payment.
Central Bank of India plans to exit housing finance subsidiary
- State-run Central Bank of India is looking to sell its entire 40 per cent stake in its housing finance subsidiary — Cent Bank Home Finance (CBHFL).
- The bank holds 64.40 per cent in the unlisted housing finance company, while the remaining stake is held by Housing & Urban Development Corporation (HUDCO), Unit Trust of India (UTI) and National Housing Bank (NHB).
Summit & Conference
PM Modi to inaugurate two-day International Judicial Conference 2020 in New Delhi
- PM Narendra Modi will inaugurate a two-day International Judicial Conference 2020 organised by Supreme Court in New Delhi. Union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad and Chief Justice Sharad Bobde will also be present on the occasion.
- The Conference introduced the “Just World” concept in the Judicial System of India which aims to take the judicial system of the country to every citizen irrespective of their gender.
- The Conference also focused on the need for technology for timely justice like “E-Court Integrated Mission Mode Project” and establishment of “National Judicial Data Grid”.
- The conference will witness the participation of numerous other international legal luminaries from across the world. The theme of the International Judicial Conference 2020 is “Judiciary and the changing world”.
- The Conference discussed the changes being introduced by the Government of India to bring Gender Equality in recruiting women.
G20 finance ministers’, central bankers to meet in Riyadh
- Riyadh is hosting the inaugural G20 finance ministers’ and central bank governors’
- The meeting will be chaired by Saudi Finance Minister Mohammed Al-Jadaan and Ahmed Alkholifey, chairman of the Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority.
- Ministers and banking officials will discuss the global economic outlook and possible policy responses to support growth and safeguard against downside risks.
- They will also discuss the priorities of the Saudi G20 presidency under the theme of “Realizing Opportunities of the 21st Century for All.”
Abhay Kumar Singh takes over as NHPC CMD, replaces Ratish Kumar
- State-run hydro power giant NHPC announced appointment of Abhay Kumar Singh as the company’s Chairman & Managing Director.
PM of Malaysia Mahathir Mohamad resigns
- Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad submitted his resignation to the country’s king.
Adline Castelino wins Miss Diva Universe 2020
- Adline Castelino has been crowned as the winner of LIVA Miss Diva Universe 2020
- Castelino, who hails from Mangalore, was crowned by Vartika Singh, the winner of the previous edition.
- She was closely followed by Aavriti Choudhary of Jabalpur who was bestowed with the title of Miss Diva Supranational
Pune’s Neha Jaiswal was crowned Miss Diva Runner-up.
Prez Kovind to present CDRI scientist Niti Kumar with ‘SERB Women Excellence Award’
- The Ministry of Science & technology has announced that Dr Niti Kumar, Senior Scientist from Division of Molecular Parasitology and Immunology, Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI), Lucknow, under the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), has received the ‘SERB Women Excellence Award 2020’.
- The Award will be conferred by the President of India during the National Science Day celebrations on 28 February, in Vigyan Bhawan.
Science & Technology
Sub-Neptune sized planet validated with the habitable-zone planet finder
- A signal originally detected by the Kepler spacecraft has been validated as an exoplanet using the Habitable-zone Planet Finder (HPF), an astronomical spectrograph built by a Penn State team and recently installed on the 10m Hobby-Eberly Telescope at McDonald Observatory in Texas.
- The newly confirmed planet, called G 9-40b, is the first one validated by HPF.
- HPF is being searching for Exoplanet by using the Doppler Effect.