Daily Current Affairs – 23 February 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
Madhya Pradesh CM Kamal Nath Inaugurates Indian Forest Service Officers Meet in Bhopal
- The Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh Shri Kamal Nath inaugurated the Forestry Conference of Indian Forest Service (IFS) officers at Noronha Academy of Administration in Bhopal on 22 February 2020.
- The event is being held in Bhopal for the first time.
- The main purpose of the conference is to deliberate on the usage of forest produce and the role of forests in economic growth.
1st Khelo India University Games launched by PM Narendra Modi
- 1st edition of the Khelo India University Games was launched at the Jawaharlal Nehru Indoor Stadium at Cuttack, Odisha by Prime Minister Narendra Modi through video conferencing.
- The tournament will feature the participation of about 3,400 athletes from 159 universities across the country across 17 disciplines.
Indian Railway has launched AI based ASKDISHA chatbot
- The Indian Railways has launched the Hindi Version of Artificial Intelligence-based chatbot called “ASKDISHA”.
- The hindi version has been launched to further enhance the customer services rendered and to further strengthen the services of the chatbot.
- The Indian Railways is also planning to launch the chatbot in more languages in the near future.
Dr Harsh Vardhan inaugurates New Institutional Campus at NIPHTR in Navi Mumbai
- Union Minister of Science & Technology, Health and Family Welfare and Earth Science Dr. Harsh Vardhan stated that public health should be a subject that needs thorough rejuvenation in India.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan was inaugurating a New Institutional Campus at the National Institute of Public Health Training & Research (NIPHTR) at Navi Mumbai.
- He informed that in the first cabinet meeting, the centre had decided to start at least 75 medical colleges in those areas where malnutrition cases are mostly reported.
- He stated that in sustainable development and reduction of maternal mortality rates, India under Modi’s regime has achieved more than expectations.
- He also added that India has a very robust Ayushman Bharat Programs under which 86 lakhs patients have been enrolled.
India’s first floating jetty inaugurated in Goa
- India’s first floating jetty has been inaugurated by the Union Minister of State for Shipping Mansukh Mandaviya at a cruise terminal in Vasco at Goa.
- The floating jetty is made of cement concrete and is expected to boost inland waterways.
FATF decides to retain Pakistan in ‘Grey List
- The plenary has noted that Pakistan addressed only a few of the 27 tasks given to it in controlling funding to terror groups like the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), the Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) and the Hizbul Mujahideen, which are responsible for a series of attacks in India.
- The global terror financing watchdog Financial Action Task Force (FATF) decided continuation of Pakistan in the ‘Grey List’ and warned the country that stern action will be taken if it fails to check the flow of money to terror groups.
- Pakistan has to swiftly complete its full action plan by June 2020. If Pakistan fails to comply with the FATF directives, there is every possibility that the global body may put the country in the ‘Black List’ along with North Korea and Iran.
India, Sri Lanka sign MoU for up-gradation of infrastructure in plantation schools for estate workers of Indian origin
- India and Sri Lanka have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) for up-gradation of infrastructure in plantation schools for estate workers of Indian origin. The MoU was signed by acting High Commissioner Mr. Vinod. K. Jacob and Secretary, Ministry of Education of Sri Lanka Mr. N.H.M. Chithrananda in Colombo.
- The project envisages up gradation of infrastructure of 9 plantation schools as identified by Sri Lanka under an Indian grant assistance of 30 crore rupees. The government of India has been implementing several projects in the field of education, deepening India-Sri Lanka cooperation in the education sector.
- Construction and renovation of many school buildings in Northern Province is also being undertaken under Indian grant assistance.
- These projects are in continuation of Government of India’s people-oriented development cooperation with Government of Sri Lanka. India’s overall commitment of development assistance to Sri Lanka stands at a total of around 5 billion US dollars and among these, 560 million US dollars under grants.
Egypt to host ‘India by the Nile’ fest in March
- The annual ‘India by the Nile’ festival in Egypt will be held this year from March 2-10, bringing with it a selection of classical and popular Indian art forms to the cities of Cairo, Alexandria.
- The festival is organised by the Teamwork Arts (a company that specialises in showcasing Indian art at festivals all over the world) in cooperation with the Indian Embassy in Cairo and several other Egyptian partners, the Al Ahram newspaper said in a report on Friday.
- This year, the festival will include “En Route to Bollywood“. a colourful show featuring well-known songs from Bollywood films, accompanied by dancers.
- In addition, the Astha Dixit Dance Company will provide a modern perspective on one of the oldest Indian classical dance forms, kathak. The festival will also feature “Yoga and Wellbeing” sessions.
BANKING & FINANCE
SEBI allows the use of regulatory sandbox by market players
- Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) has allowed the use of regulatory sandbox by the market players on select customers.
- SEBI will also grant limited registration for such testing purposes. The decision is expected to facilitate the use of latest fintech innovations in capital markets.
- The decision was taken at the board meeting of the market regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India.
SBI Card, Landmark Group tie-up to launch retail co-branded credit cards
- SBI Card has partnered with Landmark Group to launch retail co-branded credit cards. Lifestyle Home Centre SBI Card, Max SBI Card, and Spar SBI Card were introduced in partnership with four Landmark brands – Lifestyle, Home Centre, Max, and Spar.
- The new co-brand cards are available in three variants – Base, SELECT and PRIME and cater to consumers across segments from value-for-money to premium to super-premium.
- PRIME variant cardholders can avail total savings of up to Rs 30,000 annually on this card.
- The joining and renewal fee for the Base variant is Rs 499 plus GST, SELECT variant is Rs 1,499 plus GST and PRIME variant is Rs 2,999 plus GST.
Axis Bank to explore long-term partnership with Max Life
- Axis Bank, along with Max Financial Services Limited and its subsidiary Max Life Insurance, have signed a confidentiality and exclusivity arrangement that will allow the private sector lender to explore the possibility of entering into a long-term strategic partnership with the life insurer.
- The arrangement has a three-month timeline. This is expected to give the private sector lender a greater foothold in the insurance sector, while Max Financial Services has been scouting for another shareholder for Max Life.
- Max Life is currently the largest non-bank-owned private life insurer in India. Max Financial Services holds a 72.5 per cent stake in Max Life, while Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance holds 25.5 per cent equity. Axis Bank owns 2 per cent stake in Max Life.
Summit & Conference
SCO’s Defence Experts Working Group meeting was held in Pakistan
- The 9th Defence and Security Expert Working Group (EWG) meeting of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) was held in Islamabad, Pakistan.
- The meeting was the part of the ‘Shanghai Cooperation Organization Defense & Security Cooperation Plan 2020’.
- China, Russian Federation, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and India including Pakistan participated in the event.
NITI Aayog organizing Sustainable Development Goals Conclave 2020
- NITI Aayog is organizing Sustainable Development Goals Conclave 2020: Partnerships, Cooperation and Development of North Eastern states- in Guwahati, Assam.
- The three-day event will see representations from the North Eastern states, Central Ministries, academia, civil society and international development organizations.
- Following the inaugural session, the technical sessions would include SDG localization in the North East, economic prosperity and sustainable livelihoods, climate adaptive agriculture, health and nutrition among others.
- NITI Aayog has the mandate of overseeing the adoption and monitoring of SDGs at the national and sub-national level. Progress in the northeast region is crucial in this decade of action for the country to achieve the SDGs by 2030.
- This conclave is part of the NITI Aayog’s continuous efforts towards fostering partnerships at the sub-national level.New Delhi hosts the International Judicial Conference
New Delhi hosts the International Judicial Conference which was addressed by PM Modi.
- The conference was held with the theme of “Gender Just World”. The topic of the one-day conference is “Judiciary and The Changing World”.
- The changes made by GoI to bring gender equality including recruitment of women in military service, changes in the selection process of fighter pilots, and the freedom to work at night in the mines were discussed during the conference.
Sunil Gurbaxani appointed as new MD and CEO of Dhanlaxmi Bank
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) approved appointment of Sunil Gurbaxani as managing director and CEO of Dhanlaxmi Bank.
Gurbaxani is working with Axis Bank at present.
- During the third quarter ended December, the bank reported a 26 per cent rise in net profit to Rs 21.28 crore for the third quarter ended December.
- The private sector lender had registered a net profit of Rs 16.90 crore during the corresponding period in previous fiscal.
- Total income rose to Rs 285.85 crore from Rs 272.16 crore in October-December 2018-19.
Rajlaxmi Singh Deo has been elected as president of Rowing Federation of India
- Rajalaxmi Singh Deo was re-elected as the president of the Rowing Federation of India (RFI).
- Rajpal Singh, G Bhasker, Souvik Ghose, and Sreekunara Kurup were elected as vice-presidents.
- MV Sriram was voted as secretary-general of the RFI while Krishna Kumar Singh and Chirajit Dhukan were chosen as joint-secretaries of the federation.
- The post of the treausurer was won by Nababudin Ahmed. Jasbir Singh, Venkateshwara Rao, Ismail Baig, Jacob, and Manjunatha were elected as the executive committee members.
- The winning candidates will remain at the post for four years till 2024.
USIBC appoints Vijay Advani as new Chairman of Global Board
- Vijay Advani has been appointed by the US-India Business Council (USIBC) as new chairman of its Global Board of Directors.
- The council also announced two new members of the Global Board of Directors Lockheed Martin International Senior Vice President Tim Cahill and GE South Asia President & CEO Mahesh Palashikar.
Dr. Niti Kumar to be honoured with SERB Women Excellence Award-2020
- Dr Niti Kumar, a Senior Scientist from Division of Molecular Parasitology and Immunology, CSIR-CDRI, Lucknow will be honoured with the SERB Women Excellence Award-2020.
- Her research team is testing the protein quality control machinery in human malaria parasite for exploration of alternative drug targets for malaria intervention.
- The SERB Women Excellence Award-2020 will be conferred by the President of India during the celebrations of National Science Day.
Manoj Kumar honoured by World Book of Records, London
- Veteran actor Manoj Kumar has been felicitated by the World Book of Records, London with the WBR Golden Era of Bollywood honour for being a legendary actor and for his contribution to Indian cinema.
- The certificate of honour was presented to Manoj Kumar recently by Santosh Shukla, Supreme Court Advocate (President World Book of Records), Usman Khan (Vice President, World Book of Records, India) and Professor Rajeev Sharma.
- Manoj Kumar was the winner of 47th Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2015 and also awarded Padma Shri award by the Government of India in 1992.
Dharampal Satyapal Limited won the award for Best In-House Direct Tax Team of the Year.
- BRICS Chamber of Commerce & Industry (BRICS CCI), organized the 2nd Annual Direct Tax Summit & Awards 2020 in association with Achromic Point – an international consulting firm.
- The day long summit saw an eminent list of delegates discussing recent trends and issues in the field of International Tax and identified the best methods for integrating into the new systems while deriving the most tax benefits.