Daily Current Affairs – 22 February 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
World Thinking Day Celebrated on February, 22
- On February 22, Girl Scouts and Girl Guides across 150 countries celebrate World Thinking Day.
- Promoted by the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS for short) along with Girl Scouts of the USA, World Thinking Day originated in 1926.
- World Thinking Day 2020 celebrates the diversity, equity, and inclusion reflected in our global movement.
4 railway stations in Uttar Pradesh’s Prayagraj get new names
- Four Railway Stations in Uttar Pradesh’s Prayagraj will now sport new names, a move aimed at reviving the identity of the ancient city.
- Allahabad Junction will now be Prayagraj Junction, Allahabad City will now be known as Prayagraj Rambag, Allahabad Chhioki has been changed to Prayagraj Chheoki and the name of Prayagg Hat has been changed to Prayagraj Sangam.
- The names of the stations were changed by the central and the state government.
Ministry of MSME launches national level awareness programme
- Union Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) has launched a National Level Awareness Programme (NLAP) 2020 from February 17 to 28.
- The objective of the NLP is to spread awareness about schemes and activities undertaken by the Ministry and its attached organisations — Office of Development Commissioner (MSME), Khadi & Village Industries Commission, Coir Board, National Small Industries Corporation Limited, National Institute of MSME, MSME Technology Centres, and Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Rural Industrialisation, as per an official statement issued .
Gold reserves found by GSI in Sonbhadra district of Uttar Pradesh
- The Geological Survey of India (GSI) has found gold reserves in Sonbhadra district of Uttar Pradesh.
- These reserves are estimated to be around 3000 tonnes which is almost five times of India’s present gold reserves.
- The newly found reserves are valued at Rs 12 lakh crore.
‘Historical Gastronomica-The Indus Dining Experience’ held at National Museum
- The ‘Historical Gastronomica – The Indus Dining Experience’ exhibition was held at the National Museum in New Delhi which was jointly organized by the National Museum along with One Station Million Stories (OSMS).
- This is a unique exhibition based on India’s ancient food history that goes back to over 5000 years ago.
Language movement martyrs’ day “Shaheed Dibash” observed in Bangladesh
- Bangladesh observed the Shaheed Dibash known as ‘Amar Ekushey’ across the country to pay tribute to the martyrs of language movement. The day is observed as Shaheed Dibash to commemorate the martyrs who were killed in firing by the Pakistani police on 21 February 1952 in Dhaka.
- The students were agitating to establish Bangla as the state language of Pakistan. Bangladesh was part of the then Pakistan which had declared Urdu as the only state language for both West Pakistan and East Pakistan which became Bangladesh after the liberation war of 1971.
- Later in 1956 Pakistan was forced to recognise Bangla as one of the state languages but the agitation did not stop. It subsequently galvanised people into waging a victorious war of liberation against Pakistan in 1971. India played a key role in the liberation war of Bangladesh.
BANKING & FINANCE
Birla Estates has introduced “LIDEA” on WhatsApp for its customers
- An interactive AI Powered ChatBot solution “LIDEA” has been launched by Birla Estates for its customers.
- “LIDEA” will enable the users to access authentic information of the projects which can be used for the evaluation of the residential developments of Birla Estates.
- The artificial intelligence empowered Chatbot will also offer features like viewing location, configurations, amenities, virtual tours and accepting site visit requests.
Microsoft, SBI Foundation to upskill youth with disabilities for BFSI jobs
- Microsoft has collaborated with SBI Foundation to create opportunities in the banking and financial services and insurance (BFSI) sector, for youth with disabilities.
- Under the initiative, the two organisations will upskill 500 youth for BFSI jobs across Bengaluru, Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad and Delhi-NCR. The programme will be driven in collaboration with various government agencies, industry skilling bodies and non-profits.
- As a part of this effort, both the companies will develop an AI-powered marketplace that will enable the BFSI industry to better connect with people having disabilities (to upskill them).
- SBI Chairman Rajnish Kumar stated that by leveraging technology, more job avenues for people with disabilities open up in the BFSI sector.
Summit & Conference
NCMRWF to organize international conference on “EMMDA” in Noida
- A 3-day international conference on Ensemble Methods in Modelling and Data Assimilation (EMMDA) was organized by National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF), Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) in Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
The conference will be held with the following major themes:
Ensemble methods in Global Weather Prediction
Ensemble methods in Data Assimilation
Ensemble methods in Monthly and Seasonal Forecasting
Convection Permitting Ensemble Prediction Systems
Verification of Ensemble weather forecasts
Applications of Ensemble weather forecasts
Bhaskar Khulbe & Amarjeet Sinha have been appointed as Advisers to PM
- Retired IAS officers Amarjeet Sinha and Bhaskar Khulbe have been appointed as Advisers to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- DoPT in its order stated the appointments have been made on contractual basis initially for a period of two years or until further orders.
- Both the Indian Administrative Service officers are from the 1983 batch. Mr Sinha was from the Bihar Cadre and Mr Khulbe from the West Bengal Cadre.
Curt Bergfors Foundation of Sweden announces ‘Food Planet Prize’
- The Curt Bergfors Foundation of Sweden has created two USD 1 million prizes for solutions towards sustainable food system amid the threatening climate change.
- ‘New Food Planet Prize’, the prize is to be awarded annually in two categories: existing scalable solution for sustainable foods and innovative initiative for transforming food sector. Experts in the field of climate research will be the prize jury.
Indian Railways customer grievance portal ‘RailMadad’ gets DARPG e-Governance Award
- RailMadad, the grievance redressal portal of Indian Railways, has been awarded Silver under Category II of the National e-Governance Awards – ‘Excellence in providing Citizen-centric Delivery.’
- RailMadad is linked with the Railways’ existing ticketing systems like PRS & NTES. Hence journey details of passengers are automatically fetched when passengers enter PNR details, and complaints go automatically to the concerned field unit, which accelerates grievance redressal.
- For every registered grievance, the complainant gets a unique CRN (complaint reference number), using which complainants can check the status of the grievance. After closure of a complaint, the customer receives an SMS with a link to provide feedback on the quality of redressal.
- This award was conferred during the 23rd National Conference on e-Governance which was held in Mumbai.
- The RailMadad portal can be accessed by Railways customers via the RailMadad helpline no. 139 (with IVRS, voice and SMS facilities), RailMadad website, and the RailMadad App (on android & iOS). The RailMadad helpline number ‘139’ is available in 12 languages.
Science & Technology
“5G Hackathon” launched by Telecommunications Department
- The ‘5G Hackathon’ is lauched by the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) in association with the government of India, academia and industry stakeholders to shortlist India’s focused cutting edge ideas that can be converted into workable 5G products and solutions.