Daily Current Affairs – 21 February 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
Fourth Anniversary of Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission observed on 21st February
- The fourth Anniversary of the launch of Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission (SPMRM) will be observed On 21st February 2016, the Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched the Mission with the vision to deliver catalytic interventions to rural areas on the threshold of growth.
- Under the mission, 300 Rurban clusters are envisaged to be developed in a time-bound manner. Spurred by the success of Rurban clusters, NITI Aayog has recently proposed a new and extended programme for over a 1,000 clusters in next three years.
- The Mission aims at transforming these Rurban clusters by stimulating local economic development, enhancing basic services and creating well planned Rurban clusters.
- This will lead to holistic development of the region and encourage integrated and inclusive rural development.
India ranked 77th on Sustainability Index
- According to the report commissioned by the World Health Organization (WHO), UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) and the Lancet medical journal and backed by United Nations, India has been ranked at 77th position in the Sustainability Index 2020 and 131st on the Flourishing Index 2020.
UP govt allots Rs 2,000 cr for Jewar airport in budget
- The Uttar Pradesh government allotted a fund of Rs 2,000 crore for the Jewar Airport in Gautam Buddh Nagar.
- A budget of Rs 2,000 crore has been proposed for the Noida International Greenfield Airport in Gautam Buddh Nagar’s Jewar.
- The airport is expected to go operational by 2023.
- The UP government presented a Rs 5,12,860.72 crore budget for FY 2020-21 in the state assembly.
- The entire project will be spread over 5,000 hectares and is estimated to cost Rs 29,560 crore.
- The first phase of the airport will be spread over 1,334 hectares and cost Rs 4,588 crore.
- The project is being managed and operated by Noida International Airport (NIAL).
India’s tallest pier bridge built by Northeast Frontier Railway in Manipur
- India’s tallest railway pier bridge which is 100 m tall has been constructed by the Northeast Frontier Railway Construction Organisation.
- The bridge has been built across Makru river in the Tamenglong district of Manipur.
- The bridge has been constructed at the cost of Rs 283.5-crore.
Vice President inaugurates four-day Indian Students’ Parliament in New Delhi
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu has urged the younger generation to join politics in a big way.
- Inaugurating the four-day Indian Students’ Parliament in New Delhi, Mr Naidu stated, politics is a vehicle for serving the people and bringing about the desired socio-economic change.
- Politics is a vehicle to take the country to new levels of development and strengthening the foundations of democracy.
India to switch to world’s cleanest diesel and petrol from April 1
- From 1st of April 2020, India will be switching to the world’s cleanest petrol and diesel as the nation is heading towards transitional shift from Bharat Stage-IV grade to Bharat Stage-VI grade.
- The BS-VI grade has only 10ppm of sulphur and its emission standards are as good as that of CNG.
1st edition of Bharat-Bangla Paryatan Utsav commenced in Agartala
- The 1st edition of the Bharat-Bangla Paryatan Utsav-Tourism festival has commenced in Agartala, Tripura to promote tourism in Tripura.
- The festival has been organized in memories of the contribution of Tripura in 1971 Bangladesh liberation war as well as to boost the tourism sector of Tripura.
Atal Kisan – Majdoor canteens to be openend by Haryana Goverment
- The Atal Kisan – Majdoor canteens will be opnened by the Government of Haryana across the state.
- These canteens aims to provide provide affordable and cheap meals to farmers and labourers at a concessional rate of RS 10 per plate in all mandis and sugar mills.
Ganga Kayak Festival organised in Uttarakhand
- The eighth edition of Ganga Kayak Festival was inaugurated in Devprayag, Uttarakhand.
- The festival is jointly organized with Uttarakhand Tourism Development Council and The Adventure Sports Society is witnessing participation of 45 male and 6 women athletes from Russia, Australia and Nepal.
Tamil Nadu, Karnataka to observe Jayalalithaa’s birth anniversary as ‘Girl Children Protection Day’
- TN and Karnataka government will celebrate former Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa’s birthday as ‘State Women Children Protection Day’ on February 24.
- TN government will implement five new schemes, including a Rs 2 lakh assistance by way of bank deposit, for the welfare of destitute girl children.
Arunachal Pradesh celebrates 34th Statehood Day
- Arunachal Pradesh attained statehood on February 20, 1987.
- Home Minister Amit Shah will launch a slew of projects on the occasion.
- He will launch the Arunachal Pradesh Industrial and Investment Policy, 2020, inaugurate the Joram-Koloriang Road constructed by BRO, lay the foundation stone of the new headquarters of the state police and along with other projects.
Sri Lanka Government decides to withdraw from UNHRC consensus resolutions
- Sri Lanka Government formally announced its decision to withdraw from the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) resolution co-sponsored in 2015.
- Cabinet Spokesman Bandula Gunawardena told reporters that the proposal to withdraw from the resolution was tabled by Foreign Minister Dinesh Gunawardena who also sought the support of the international community for the move.
- The announcement came after the Cabinet unanimously decided to withdraw from the resolution in its meeting last evening.
“Ra’ad-II” an air-launched cruise missile was successfully tested by Pakistan
- The flight test of the air-launched cruise missile Ra’ad-II has been successfully completed by Pakistan.
- Ra’ad-II missile having a range of 600 km, is aimed to be attached with Mirage aircraft or F-16 fighter jets of the Pakistan Air Force.
BANKING & FINANCE
India needs to invest USD 109 billion to halve its road accident fatalities in next decade: World Bank
- India needs to invest an estimated extra USD 109 billion in road safety over the next decade to halve its crash fatalities, the World Bank stated in a report released on a day when at least 35 people were killed in four separate accidents in the country.
- The bank stated such an investment will bring economic benefits equivalent annually to 7 per cent of the GDP.
- The report titled “Delivering Road Safety in India” was released at the “Third Global Ministerial Conference on Road Safety”
- It points to the high death rate on India’s roads caused by chronic lack of investment in systemic, targeted, and sustained road safety programmes and identifies relevant investment priorities to reverse the trend.
- India has one of the highest rates of road crashes in the world.
HDFC Bank ties up with Mastercard & SAP concur for spending management services
- HDFC Bank has teamed up with Mastercard and SAP Concur for spending management services for the corporate sector.
- Various services like corporate credit card for business travellers, providing a one-stop solution for payment and expense management during business trips will be offered by HDFC Bank.
Kotak Mahindra Bank gets RBI nod on promoters’ stake dilution plan
- Kotak Mahindra Bank stated that the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has granted its final approval regarding the dilution of promoters’ shareholding in the bank.
- On January 30, Kotak Mahindra Bank stated that the bank decided to cap the promoters’ voting rights to 15% from April 1
- The RBI gave its in-principle acceptance for reducing promoters’ shareholding to 26% of the paid-up voting equity share capital of the bank within six months from the date of final approval of the regulator.
- The regulator earlier insisted the Kotak Mahindra Bank promoters to cap their voting rights at 20% by March 2020. The RBI had fined the Kotak Mahindra Bank ₹2 crore for violation of its norms.
Summit & Conference
India attends SCO defence and security experts meeting in Pakistan
- Pakistan hosted a two-day meeting of defence and security experts of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) in Islamabad which was attended by India and other member states.
- The SCO is a China-led eight-member economic and security bloc in which India and Pakistan were admitted as full members in 2017.
- The participating countries besides Pakistan included China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and India, whereas Belarus attended the meeting as the observer state.
- The 9th Defence and Security Expert Working Group meeting of the SCO from February 19 to 20 discussed different aspects of cooperation between the SCO member states’ and regional security, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) – the media wing of the Pakistan army.
- For the first time, India will host the annual meeting of council of heads of government of the SCO later this year.
- Its founding members included China, Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan.The grouping has four observer states, namely Afghanistan, Belarus, Iran and Mongolia.
Sanjay Kothari appointed as new Central Vigilance Commissioner
- Sanjay Kothari has been appointed by a high-powered committee headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi as the new Central Vigilance Commissioner.
- He was currently serving as the Secretary to the President. In other appointments, Bimal Julka has been appointed as the Chief Information Commissioner in the Central Information Commission.
ESPN India Awards 2019
|S. No.||Award||Winner Name|
|1||Sportsperson of the Year (Female)||PV Sindhu (Badminton)|
|2||Sportsperson of the Year (Male)||Saurabh Chaudhary (Pistol shooter)|
|3||Emerging Sportsperson of the Year||Deepak Punia (Freestyle wrestler)|
|4||Coach of the Year||Pullela Gopichand (Badminton)|
|5||Team of the Year||Manu Bhaker-Saurabh Chaudhary (10m air pistol)|
|6||Lifetime Achievement award||Balbir Singh Sr (Hockey)|
|7||Comeback of the Year||Koneru Humpy (Chess player)|
|8||Differently-abled Athlete of the Year||Manasi Joshi (Badminton)|
|9||Moment of the Year||PV Sindhu’s World Championships final win|
|10||The Courage award||Dutee Chand (Athlete)|
Science & Technology
Solar Powered PHASA-35 Completes First Test Flight In Australia
- BAE Systems is celebrating the successful maiden flight of a solar powered High-Altitude Long Endurance (HALE) aircraft at the RAAF’s Woomera Test Range in South Australia.
- PHASA-35 is an unmanned 35-metre wingspan solar-electric aircraft that has progressed from design to flight in just 20 months.
- Built in partnership with UK’s Prismatic Ltd, which BAE Systems announced it would be acquiring last year, PHASA-35 has military applications but could also be used for purposes such bushfire detection and delivering communications services.
Personal reading scanner machine for visually impaired
- Nearly 7 million people in India are blind or visually impaired, this physical disability keeps them away from many things one of which is, reading. To make them self-dependant when it comes to reading Central Scientific Instruments Organisation, (CSIO) Chandigarh has developed a scanner-based reading device called ‘Divyanayan.
- It is a reading machine for visually impaired or illiterate person where any printed or digital document can be accessed in the form of speech output. The device uses a contact line scanner for acquiring the image of a printed document.
SCSC launches new app to make women feel safe
- The She M Power Women Security Conclave organised by the Society for Cyberabad Security Council (SCSC) saw the launch of a new comprehensive mobile application called She Safe.
- It was launched in the presence of Cyberabad Police Commissioner VC Sajjanar, IG (Women’s Safety) Swati Lakra, Dr Tessy Thomas, Director General of Aeronauticals, DRDO, and actor Sai Pallavi.
- The app, made by a group of women IT professionals, offers a one-stop tech solution to a variety of security needs of women, and allows them to rate various services.
- SCSC members stated one of the features of the app, which is the most promising, is ‘Safe Stay’ wherein nearly 100-200 hostels and PG guest houses have been enlisted with security ratings given to them by the police and the SCSC.