Daily Current Affairs – 2 March 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
Shri Amit Shah inaugurated NSG Regional Hub at Kolkata
- Union Minister for Home Affairs Amit Shah inaugurated the National Security Guard (NSG) Regional Hub campus at Kolkata, West Bengal.
- It aims to provide adequate facilities to the brave NSG jawans.
- He also various welfare projects for NSG, amounting to over Rs. 245 crores, across Kolkata, Manesar, Chennai, and Mumbai.
- The campus will hold the responsibility of West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, and the entire North-Eastern region.
India bagged USD 40 million defence deal with Armenia
- India won a $40 million defence deal to supply 4 indigenously-built weapons locating radars to Armenia in Europe.
- India won the deal by overtaking Russia and Poland.
- The move by GoI is to boost the defence sector of the country.
- The deal is a major achievement for the ‘Make in India’ programme in the defence sector.
Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla launches ‘Suposhit Maa Abhiyaan’ in Kota
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla has stated that society should also come forward to remove malnutrition problems in the country.
- Mr. Birla was addressing the program after launching the ‘Suposhit Maa Abhiyaan’ in his constituency Kota.
Jitendra Singh inaugurated the Pension Adalat in Jammu
- Dr. Jitendra Singh, the Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North-Eastern Region (DoNER), inaugurated the ‘Pension Adalat’ in Jammu.
- The Programme was organized by the Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances, and Pensions, GoI.
- Pension Adalat was conducted outside Delhi for the first time. The main initiatives were taken to fix the minimum pension at Rs.1,000.
Jammu’s famed City Chowk renamed as Bharat Mata Chowk
- The historic City Chowk in Jammu has been renamed as Bharat Mata Chowk by the Jammu Municipal Corporation (JMC).
Indian Railway launched first Restaurant on Wheels at the Asansol Railway station
- Indian Railways launched its first ‘Restaurant on Wheels’ at the Asansol Railway station, Paschim Bardhaman district, West Bengal.
- It was inaugurated by the Union Minister of State for Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Shri Babul Supriyo in a programme held at Asansol station.
- The ‘Restaurant on Wheels’ at Asansol station circulating area was developed by refurbishing two, over-aged Mainline Electric Multiple Unit (MEMU) coaches.
- The restaurant is called ‘Wow Bhojan’, while the tea boutique is called ‘Chai-Chun’.
Bihar government raises India’s first tribal women battalion
- The Bihar government raised the country’s first tribal women police battalion named the ‘Bihar Police Swabhiman Vahini‘ with a strength of 675 constables.
- Lauding the Bihar police, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar , stated that the empowerment of women in all walks of life is one of the top priorities for the state government “and the country’s first ‘Bihar Police Swabhiman Vahini’ is a living example of our dedication and commitment to uplift the lives of ST women.”
- The passing out parade of this battalion was held at Patna’s Mithilesh stadium.
ADB provides USD 4 million to the Asia-Pacific countries to fight coronavirus outbreak
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) is to provide a total of $4 million (Rs.29 crore) to the Asia-Pacific countries.
- The bank aims to help developing countries in Asia and the Pacific to fight the outbreak of novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
- ADB has also approved a further $2 million to help developing countries in Asia and the Pacific to contain the novel coronavirus outbreak.
BANKING & FINANCE
GST collection crosses Rs 1 lakh crore mark in February
- Government has collected over one lakh five thousand crore rupees as Goods and Services Tax in February this year which is eight percent more than the GST collected in the same month of last year.
- Out of the total revenue, Central Goods and Service Tax (CGST) is over 20 thousand crore rupees, State Goods and Service Tax (SGST) is over 27 thousand crore and Integrated Goods and Service Tax (IGST) is over 48 thousand crore rupees.
- Finance Ministry stated, during the month of February, the GST revenue from domestic transactions has shown a growth of 12 percent over the revenue during the month of February last year.
As per RBI Bank credit growth dips to 8.5 per cent in January
- Bank loan growth to NBFCs slowed to 32.2 per cent in the reporting month from a growth of 3 per cent a year-ago
- Bank credit growth declined to 5 per cent in January from 13.5 per cent in the year-ago period led by a sharp slowdown in loans to the services sector, according to the data compiled by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- Growth in advances to the services sector decelerated to 9 per cent from 23.9 per cent in January 2019.
Summit & Conference
EKAM fest inaugurated in New Delhi
- Union Minister of Social Justice & Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot inaugurated the “Entrepreneurship, Knowledge, Awareness, Marketing (EKAM) Fest”.
- The fest is being held in New Delhi.
19th World Productivity Congress to be held in Bengaluru
- World Productivity Congress, the world’s largest convention for productivity development, is back in India after a gap of 45 years.
- The 19th edition of World Productivity Congress (WPC) will be held on May 6 to May 8, 2020, at the Bangalore International Exhibition Centre, Bengaluru.
- Theme of the 19th World Productivity Congress is “Industry 4.0 – Innovation and Productivity”
Muhyiddin Yassin sworn in as Prime Minister of Malaysia
- Newly appointed Prime Minister of Malaysia Muhyiddin Yasin took the oath of office.
- The swearing-in ceremony was held at the national palace in Kuala Lumpur.
Pekka Lundmark appointed as CEO of Nokia
- The Fortum CEO Pekka Lundmark will replace current CEO Rajeev Suri from September 1.
CM of Punjab Captain Amarinder Singh honoured with ‘ideal’ CM award
- The Bhartiya Chhatra Sansad (BCS) conferred ‘Adarsh Mukhya Mantri Puraskar’ (Ideal Chief Minister Award) upon Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh for his “path breaking initiatives to ensure good governance and holistic development in the state”.
Science & Technology
New explosive detection device, developed by DRDO & IISc Bangalore, unveiled in Pune
- RaIDer-X, a new explosive detection device, was unveiled at the National Workshop on Explosive Detection (NWED-2020) in Pune.
- RaIDer-X has the capability to detect explosives from a stand-off distance.
- The data library can be built in the system to expand its capability to detect a number of explosives in pure form as well as with the contaminants.
- Bulk explosive in concealed condition can also be detected by the device.
- RaIDer-X has been co-developed by High Energy Materials Research Laboratory (HEMRL) Pune and Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.