Daily Current Affairs – 19 February 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
Soil Health Card Day being observed on 19th Feb
- The Soil Health Card Day is being observed on 19th of February.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched the Soil Health Card (SHC) Scheme on 19th February 2015 at Suratgarh in Rajasthan.
- The scheme aims at issuing soil health cards to farmers every two years so as to provide a basis to address nutritional deficiencies in soil.
- The scheme ensures additional income to farmers by increase in yields and it also promotes sustainable farming.
Delhi’s IGI Airport has become the first single-use plastic-free airport of India
- “Indira Gandhi International Airport” of Delhi has been declared by the Delhi International Airport Ltd as India’s first single-use plastic-free airport.
- The airport is also certified as single-use plastic-free airport by the CII-ITC Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Development.
Police, Uber launch Himmat Plus app at IGI airport
- To ensure safety and security of people travelling in cabs, the Delhi Police along with Uber launched the Himmat Plus app at the Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport.
- In case of an emergency, the police headquarters will receive the real-time location of a driver or a rider through this app so that a PCR van can be assigned to provide assistance.
- Over 1,000 Himmat QR verification cards were distributed among drivers. Once a rider scans the QR card, they can access a driver’s details and vehicle information on the Himmat App and can report their journey directly to police.
Kala Kumbh exhibition organised by the Ministry of Textiles in New Delhi
- The “Kala Kumbh” exhibition was recently organized by the Ministry of Textiles in New Delhi.
- The exhibition was held to promote Geographical Indication (GI) craft and heritage of India.
UP becomes first state to enforce Performance Regulation Act for power department
- Uttar Pradesh has enforced Performance Regulation Act 2019 for the power department. It is to provide timely and hassle-free service to the consumers.
- The consumers would now get financial compensation for delay in solving their complaints by the department. Around 2 crore 87 lakh people are likely to be benefitted from the new law.
- The consumer would get Rs 50 per day if there is a delay in repairing the defective meter and also non-response by call centre.In case of delay in repairing underground cable breakdown, the consumer would get Rs 100 per day.
Ashraf Ghani secures 2nd term as President of Afghanistan
- The independent Election Commission of Afghanistan has announced Ashraf Ghani as the winner of the Presidential elections of Afghanistan.
- He has won the Presidential elections of Afghanistan for the 2nd time.
- He defeated his closest opponent Abdullah Abdullah after winning the 9,23,592 votes or 50.64% of the total votes.
Bangladesh to sign Free Trade Agreement with Nepal
- Bangladesh will sign Free Trade Agreement with Nepal to improve the trade between the two countries.
- Bangladesh has also allowed Nepal to use its Saidpur airport located in its northernmost district of Nilphamari close to Nepal.
BANKING & FINANCE
India becomes 5th largest economy
As per the “World Population Review” report, India overtakes United Kingdom and France to become the 5th-largest world economy in 2019. India’s economy is the fifth-largest in the world with a gross domestic product (GDP) of $2.94 trillion.
|United States (US)||$21.44 trillion|
IOC to invest Rs 500 crore for Karnataka unit
- Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Karnataka government under which the firm will invest 500 crore to set up petroleum products receiving, storage and distribution terminal at Chitradurga in Karnataka.
- It will be set up in an area of 120 acres in the district.
- The MoU was signed during ‘Invest Karnataka’, conference at Hubballi.
- The new oil terminal is expected to cater to the growing demand of petroleum products from Karnataka where IOC has nearly 50 per cent market share.
Summit & Conference
“Chintan Shivir” held in Gujarat
- “Chintan Shivir” was held at Kevadia in Gujarat and was chaired by the Union Minister of Coal and Mines Shri Pralhad Joshi who stated that India will put an end on importing thermal coal by the Financial Year 2023-24.
Australia appoints Barry O’Farrell as new high commissioner to India
- Australia has appointed former New South Wales premier Barry O’Farrell as the next high commissioner to India.
- O’Farrell will succeed Harinder Sidhu who has been in the office since 2016.
- O’Farrell served in the NSW Parliament from 1995-2015, including as the state’s 43rd premier.
- India is a significant trading partner, with two-way investment valued at 30.7 billion Australian dollars.
- The Government will continue to push an ambitious agenda to expand our trade and economic relationship.
Sachin Tendulkar wins the Laureus Sporting Moment Award for ICC World Cup 2011 victory lap
- Sachin Tendulkar won the Laureus World Sports Award for Laureus Sporting Moment 2000-2020. Laureus World Sports Awards 2020 was held in Berlin, Germany.
- The former Indian cricket team captain became the first Indian sportsperson to win a Laureus World Sports Award with his win at the 20th-anniversary edition of the event dubbed as the ‘Oscars of Sport.’
- The ‘Master Blaster’ received his award from Australian former skipper Steve Waugh.
- Tendulkar was inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame in 2019.