Daily Current Affairs – 18 January 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad to inaugurate ‘Centre of Excellence in Blockchain Technology’ in Bengaluru
- National Informatics Centre (NIC) has set up the Centre of Excellence (CoE) in Blockchain Technology in Bengaluru, Karnataka, aiming to provide Blockchain as a service and allowing all stakeholders to benefit from shared learning, experiences and resources.
- Inauguration of Centre of Excellence in Blockchain Technology is being held tomorrow by the Union Minister for Law & Justice, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- The event will be attended by several dignitaries from the Central and State Government.
MoU between NITI Aayog and Union Territory of Ladakh for Development of Infrastructure Projects
- In an important initiative to promote the development of key infrastructure sectors in the newly constituted Union Territory of Ladakh, NITI Aayog entered into a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the UT’s administration.
- Under this MoU, NITI Aayog will be supporting the UT’s administration through its key initiative ‘Development Support Services to States for Infrastructure Projects (D3S-i)’.
- The MoU was executed in the presence of NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant and Joint Secretary MC Jauhari. It was signed by NITI Aayog Senior Adviser Dr Yogesh Suri and Adviser to the Lieutenant Governor of Ladakh Umang Narula.
Chief Minister Vijay Rupani launched the 7th Economic Census process
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has launched the 7th Economic Census process in the state. Economic Census process is carried out by Union Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation with the help of Common Service Centres.
- It will continue till 30th June 2020. The entire data will be compiled on 30th September 2020.
- The data of this Economic Census will be classified into the village, taluka and district-wise to be developed into a National Business Register
Indian Army Conducts Biggest Airborne Exercise ‘Winged Raider’ in North Eastern Theatre
- The Indian Army carried out its biggest Airborne Exercise code-named ‘Winged Raider’ in the North Eastern Theatre from 6 to 10 January 2020.
- The multi-dimensional exercise involved more than 500 Special Force’s troops and all kind of air transport platforms of the Air Force.
- The exercise saw the soldiers of the Special Forces parachuting from C-130 Hercules, C-17 globemaster transport aircraft of the Indian Air Force, and Dhruv helicopters during the day and night.
Microsoft vows will be carbon negative by 2030
- The US tech giant Microsoft has announced that it would become “carbon negative” by year 2030.
- Microsoft has also announced its investment of $1 billion in a “climate innovation fund” for technology for carbon capture and removal.
Oleksiy Honcharuk Resigns as Prime Minister of Ukraine
- The incumbent Prime Minister of Ukraine, Oleksiy Honcharuk submitted his resignation to President Volodymyr Zelenskiy on 17 January, after less than six months in the role.
- The resignation is however still to be confirmed by the President.
- Oleksiy Honcharuk has been the Prime Minister of Ukraine since 29 August 2019 becoming the youngest-ever head of government at the age of 35
Summit & Conference
3rd North Zone Conference of Media Units being held in Jammu.
- The Regional Outreach Bureau, Jammu and Kashmir region has organised a two day Zonal Conference of Media units of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India at Jammu.
- The Conference aims to strengthen synergy between the Media Units in order to ensure last mile delivery, while simultaneously brainstorm the use of new technology in communication.
ICC U-19 World Cup Cricket begins in South Africa
- The ICC Under-19 World Cup Cricket 2020 begins in South Africa. India is the defending champions in U19 World Cup 2018.
- Total 16 teams are participating in the tournament, split into four groups of four.
Sania Mirza wins WTA doubles title in Hobart
- Sania Mirza (India) and Nadiia Kichenok (Ukraine) have won the women’s doubles title of the WTA International trophy at Hobart, Australia.
- They beat Shuai Peng and Shuai Zhang from China 6-4,6-4.