Daily Current Affairs – 18 February 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
‘Pyaar ka Paudha’ campaign launched by Bihar govt
- ‘Pyaar ka Paudha’ (a plant of love) campaign has been launched by the Bihar government’s Department of Environment and Forest in Patna.
- This campaign is a small effort will be a big step towards making the Bihar land green.
IDSA to be renamed as Manohar Parrikar Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses
- Union Government has decided to rename the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses, IDSA as Manohar Parrikar Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses.
- The decision has been taken to honour the commitment and legacy of late Manohar Parrikar.
Uddhav Thackeray approves renaming of Latur Medical College after former CM Vilasrao Deshmukh
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray has approved the renaming of the Latur Medical College as Vilasrao Deshmukh Institute of Medical Sciences.
- The late Vilasrao Deshmukh had served as the former CM of Maharashtra.
- Vilasrao was a member of the Indian National Congress, he served as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra for Two times from 1999 to 2003 and from 2004 to 2008 and he also served as Union cabinet Minister for the Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Earth Sciences, Ministry of Rural Development, Ministry of Panchayat Raj and Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises of Government of India.
PM Modi inaugurates ‘Kashi Ek Roop Anek’ exhibition in Varanasi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated cultural arts and handicrafts exhibition named ‘Kashi Ek Roop Anek’ organized at Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. ‘Kashi Ek Roop Anek’ showcased products from over 10,000 artisans from all over Uttar Pradesh.
- In this event, the Uttar Pradesh government had launched the ambitious scheme ‘One District, One Product’ (ODOP) in which one craft per district was identified.
Ambala city bus stand renamed after late Sushma Swaraj
- The Ambala city bus stand was renamed after late external affairs minister and BJP veteran Sushma Swaraj.
Swaraj was born in Ambala Cantt and was elected MLA twice from here.
- Local BJP MLA Aseem Goyal had requested Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar that the newly-constructed bus stand be named after Swaraj.
- Rs 18 crore had been spent on the construction of the bus stand where all basic facilities would be provided to passengers.
Haryana Roadways operates 3,200 buses in the state at present. In the next six months, 1,500 more buses would be added.
PM Modi launch 50 development projects worth over Rs 1200 crore in Varanasi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched 50 development projects worth over 1,200 crore rupees at Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh.
- These projects include a 430-bed super speciality Government hospital, a 74-bed psychiatry hospital and Centre for Vedic Research at Kashi Hindu Vishwavidyalaya (BHU), at BHU.
- PM Modi will also inaugurate the Chaukaghat Lehartara Overbridge in the city which will ease the traffic near the railway station.
- At Pandav area of Chandauli district, Prime Minister also unveiled the 63 feet Statue of Pt Deendayal Upadhyaya. This is the largest statue of the leader in the country.
Punjab to honour cops under ‘Appreciate and Commend’ scheme
- The Punjab Police have launched ‘Appreciate and Commend’
- The move is aimed at boosting the morale of police officers who work exceptionally and diligently.
- Nominations will be sought from police chiefs of various districts by the 25th of every month, and these will be screened by a committee comprising senior Police Officers from the headquarters and the field. The names would be announced by the 5th of every month.
India signs USD 450 million loan agreement with World Bank
- The Goverment of India has signed USD 450 million loan agreement with the World Bank.
- The loan agreement of USD 450 million aims to support the national programme “Atal Bhujal Yojana (ABHY): National Groundwater Management Improvement Programme”.
- It will help the Union Government to curb the country’s depleting groundwater levels along with strengthening of the groundwater institutions.
EAM to inaugurate Indian Pavilion at 70th Berlin International Film Festival on Feb 20 in Germany
- External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar will inaugurate Indian Pavilion at 70th Berlin International Film Festival on February 20 in Germany.
- The festival will be held till 1st of March.
- India Pavilion will provide a platform to popularize Indian cinema in the overseas market and facilitate new business opportunities.
BANKING & FINANCE
Moody’s cuts India’s 2020 GDP growth forecast to 5.4%
- Moody’s Investors Service has cut India’s 2020 Gross Domestic Product (GDP) growth forecast to 5.4% from 6.6% and the next financial year (2020-21) growth rate estimate to 5.8% from 6.7%.
- According to Moody’s, due to the spread of novel corona virus outbreak in China, worldwide growth will be affected and hence India’s economic growth recovery will be slow.
Summit & Conference
2020 UN Climate Change Conference (UNFCCC COP 26)
- The 26th session of the Conference of the Parties (COP 26) to the UNFCCC is expected to take place from 9-19 November 2020, in Glasgow, UK.
- Indian-origin Alok Sharma from Agra,Uttar Pradesh(UP) has been appointed as the minister in charge of the UK’s COP26 climate change summit.
- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has promoted Alok Sharma to the post of Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy in cabinet reshuffle, where he replaced Claire Perry O’Neill, a former energy minister.
J&K Global Investors Summit-2020
- Chief Secretary, B V R Subrahmanyam chaired 2nd Apex Committee meeting to review preparations for the upcoming J&K Global Investors Summit-2020 to be held in the capital cities of Srinagar and Jammu.
- The summit will not only help to present business-friendly policies of the Government; identify business opportunities in J&K to participating trade and industry organizations but also harmonize J&K’s intrinsic strength and aspirations of development and employment opportunities.
- The road shows will be held at Bengaluru, Kolkata on February 17, Mumbai on February 21, Hyderabad on March 2, Chennai on March 5 and Ahmedabad on March 9, 2020.
- Senior officers and dignitaries will preside over the pre-event functions slated during the road shows to set the stage for the main summit.
- International road shows are also being planned to attract foreign investment.
- Mini Conclaves will be held at Srinagar and Jammu in the month of March, 2020. Signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with interested investors will also form a part of the road shows and the main summit.
All India Conference of CAT 2020 held in New Delhi
- The annual All India Conference of the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) was held in New Delhi.
- The conference was attended by Judicial and Administrative Members from all 17 Benches of CAT from across the country, members of the CAT Bar Association and eminent Jurists, who deliberated on key issues related to the functioning of the Tribunal and priorities for 2020.
- The Conference was presided over by Union Minister for Law and Justice, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad.
Hyderabad all set to host 17th Edition of BioAsia 2020
- Telangana is all set to host the three-day Bio Asia 2020, Asia’s largest Biotechnology and Life Sciences Forum with the theme of ‘Today for Tomorrow’ in Hyderabad.
- About 2,000 delegates from 37 countries will be attending the annual flagship event of Government of Telangana in the presence of most eminent personalities and industry stalwarts from life sciences sectors across the globe.
- Switzerland will be the partner Country this year as part of the annual tradition. An eminent 40-member team comprising industries, academia and start-ups from Switzerland will participate in the event.
- The best 5 out of the 75 start-ups will be awarded a cash prize co-sponsored by BIRAC and CIE-IIIT Hyderabad during the closing ceremony and present their innovative solutions.
- BioAsia has been playing a key role in bringing together the global industry leaders, researchers, policymakers, innovators, and investors together on one platform discussing the new opportunities and developing strategies to succeed.
- BioAsia 2020 is being organized in partnership with Government of India, Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, Ministry of MSME, Department of Biotechnology, Department of Pharmaceuticals and it has state partners include Assam, Kerala, Odisha and Gujarat.
3rd Global Ministerial Conference on Road Safety
- The 3rd Global Ministerial Conference on Road Safety “Achieving Global Goals 2030” will take place in Stockholm, Sweden.
- Hosted by the Government of Sweden and co-hosted by WHO, the Ministerial Conference will be an opportunity for delegates to share successes and lessons from implementation of the Global Plan for the Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011–2020, chart future strategic directions for global road safety, and define ways to accelerate action on proven strategies.
- The Ministerial Conference will also provide an opportunity to link road safety to other sustainability challenges.
Difficult Dialogues 2020 began in Goa
- The 5th edition of Difficult Dialogues began in Panji, Goa.
- Difficult Dialogues (DD) is an annual forum examining issues of contemporary relevance in South Asia.
- Difficult Dialogues 2020 will focus on the “State of Law”.
Vinay Dube becomes GoAir new CEO
- GoAir has appointed Vinay Dube, the former chief executive officer (CEO) of Jet Airways, as its new CEO.
- He will be responsible for the management of the airline and also for meeting the goals and long-term growth objectives of the company.
- The budget airline did not have a CEO since the departure of Cornelis Vrieswijk in March last year.
20th Laureus Awards 2020 announced in Berlin
- The Laureus World Sports Awards is an annual award ceremony honouring individuals and teams from the world of sports along with sporting achievements throughout the year.
- It was established in 1999 by Laureus Sport for Good Foundation founding patrons Daimler and Richemont. This is the 20th anniversary of the prestigious Laureus Award which celebrates the best in the world of sport. The event was held in Berlin, Germany.
Below is the complete list of winners of Laureus World Sports Awards:
|S. No.||Award||Name Winner|
|1||Laureus World Sportsman of the Year:||Lewis Hamilton and Lionel Messi|
|2||Laureus World Sportswoman of the Year||Simone Biles|
|3||Laureus World Team of the Year||South Africa Men’s Rugby Team|
|4||Laureus Best Sporting Moment||Carried on the shoulders of a nation’ – Sachin Tendulkar|
|5||Laureus World Breakthrough of the Year||Egan Bernal|
|6||Laureus World Comeback of the Year||Sophia Flörsch|
|7||Laureus World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability||Oksana Masters|
|8||Laureus World Action Sportsperson of the Year:||Chloe Kim|
|9||Laureus Lifetime Achievement Award:||Dirk Nowitzki|
|10||Laureus Academy Exceptional Achievement Award||Spanish Basketball Federation|
|11||Laureus Sport for Good Award||South Bronx United|
Filmfare 2020: ‘Gully Boy’ Bags Top Awards
The 65th Amazon Filmfare Awards 2020 was held at Indira Gandhi Athletic Stadium in Guwahati, Assam. This was the first time that the prestigious award ceremony was held outside Mumbai.
|Best Film||Gully Boy|
|Critics’ Award for Best Film||Article 15 and Sonchiriya|
|Best Director||Zoya Akhtar, Gully Boy|
|Best Actor In A Leading Role (Male)||Ranveer Singh, Gully Boy|
|Critics’ Award for Best Actor (Male)||Ayushmann Khurrana, Article 15|
|Best Actor In A Supporting Role (Female)||Amruta Subhash, Gully Boy|
|Best Actor In A Supporting Role (Male)||Siddhant Chaturvedi, Gully Boy|
|Best Music Album||Gully Boy and Kabir Singh|
|Best Lyrics||Divine and Ankur Tewari for Apna Time Aayega (Gully Boy)|
|Best Playback Singer (Male)||Arijit Singh for Kalank Nahi (Kalank)|
|Best Playback Singer (Female)||Shilpa Rao for Ghungroo (War)|
|Best Dialogue||Vijay Maurya, Gully Boy|
|Best Screenplay||Reema Kagti and Zoya Akhtar for Gully Boy|
|Best Original Story||Anubhav Sinha and Gaurav Solanki for Article 15|
|Best Debut Director||Aditya Dhar, Uri: The Surgical Strike|
|Best Debut (Male)||Abhimanyu Dassani, Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota|
|Best Debut (Female)||Ananya Panday, Student Of The Year 2|
|Best Background Score||Gully Boy|
|Best Choreography||Remo D’Souza for Kalank track Ghar More Pardesiya|
|Best Cinematography||Gully Boy|
|Best Editing||Uri: The Surgical Strike|
|Best Production Design||Gully Boy|
|Best Sound Design||Uri: The Surgical Strike|
|People’s Choice Award for Best Short Film||Deshi|
|Best Short Film in Fiction||Bebaak|
|Best Short Film in Non Fiction||Village Of A Lesser God|
|Best Actor Female Short Film||Sarah Hashmi, Bebaak|
|Best Actor Male Short Film||Rajesh Sharma, Tindey|
Science & Technology
ISRO to launch 10 Earth Observation Satellites in 2020-21
The Indian Space Research Organisation has revealed in its annual report for 2019-20 that it will launch 10 Earth Observation Satellites in 2020-21. The 10 earth observation (EO) satellites will include categories such as the first Geo Imaging Satellite, GISAT-1 along with three communication satellites and two navigation satellites.