Daily Current Affairs – 17 January 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
DV Sadananda Gowda launches APNA UREA – SonaUgle” brand of HURL
- Chemicals and Fertilizers Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda today launched the APNA UREA – Sona Ugle brand of Hindustan Urvarak and Rasayan Limited (HURL) at a function in New Delhi.
- HURL is Joint Venture Company promoted by the three Maha Ratna Companies – Coal India Limited, NTPC Limited and Indian Oil Corporation Limited.
Arunachal Pradesh signs a MoU with IUCN
- Arunachal Pradesh signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) to red-listing of orchids.
- Now Arunachal Pradesh has become the 1st state in the country to initiate the International Union for Conservation of Nature’s (IUCN) ‘red listing’ at the state level.
Indian Railways’ SCR zone signs MoU with SBI
- The South Central Zone of the Indian Railways has signed an MoU with the State Bank of India.
- According to the MoU, the doorstep banking facility will be provided at 585 Railway Stations of the South Central Zone.
- The “doorstep banking” facility will enable direct pickup of earnings from the railway stations and will save the complex activity of cash movement through cash safes by trains.
IIM-Indore signs MoU with TikTok provides short video modules
- The Indian Institute of Management, Indore has signed an MoU with the video sharing platform “TikTok”.
- The MoU will facilitate the production of short video modules for students and trained professionals.
Japan topped the 2020 Henley Passport Index
- :Henley Passport Index 2020 was launched recently by Henley & Partners. India ranked 84th in the index. Japan has the world’s strongest passport. The index was based on the data collected from the International Air Transport Association (IATA).
- In the index, around 199 different passports and 227 different travel destinations were considered.
- It is based on the number of destinations their holders can access without a visa.
- Japan has been holding the top rank positions for the past 3 years. As per the report, the citizens can access 191 destinations without the necessity of obtaining a visa in advance.
BANKING & FINANCE
UN lowers India GDP growth forecast for current fiscal
- The Indian economy is expected to register a GDP growth of 5.7 per cent this fiscal, according to the newly launched UN World Economic Situation and Prospects (UNWESP) report 2020.
- This will be much lower than the 7.6 per cent GDP growth forecast in WESP 2019.
- For 2020-21, the new report WESP 2020 has pegged the India GDP growth estimate at 6.6 per cent, lower than 7.4 per cent estimated earlier.
- UNWESP 2020 has also forecast a 6.3 per cent GDP growth for fiscal 2021-22.
World Bank & GoI signs MoU for loan of Assam Inland Water Transport Project
- World Bank & GoI signs MoU for loan of $88 million of Assam Inland Water Transport Project.
- The loan agreement seeks to modernize the Assam’s passenger ferry sector by improving the infrastructure and its services.
- The government ferries are operated by the Assam Shipping Company (ASC) while the terminals and terminal services are provided by the Assam Ports Company (APC) in the state of Assam.
- The $88 million agreement will provide technically better designed terminals and energy-efficient vessels to make the ferry services more efficient, modern and safe mode of river transport system.
Summit & Conference
3rd edition of North Zone Conference’ of Media Units of I&B Ministry held in Jammu
- The third edition of North Zone Conference’ of Media Units of Information and Broadcasting Ministry, is being held in Jammu.
- Joint Secretary Vikram Sahay asked the IIS officers to work in coordination and effectively promote programmes and policies of the Union Government.
- He stressed upon the young officers to learn and disseminate information in regional languages.
- Mr Sahay also reviewed various activities of the media units of the North Zone and emphasised for making the offices infrastructurally sound.
- The Conference is being organised by Regional Outreach Bureau, Jammu and Kashmir region
Conference on Census 2021 held in New Delhi
- A Conference of the Chief Secretaries and Administrator State and Union Territories on Census 2021 and updating of National Population Register, NPR was held in New Delhi today.
- Inaugurating it, Minister of State for Home Nityanand Rai laid emphasis on the need of conducting Census 2021 and the role of the States in doing the same.
- He also said that the data collected in the Census helps us in framing policies for the welfare of the people of the country. Mr Rai also inaugurated the Official Mascot for Census 202
Harish Salve appointed Queen’s Counsel for courts of England & Wales
- Senior Advocate Harish Salve has been appointed the Queen’s Counsel for the courts of England and Wales. This was announced by the United Kingdom’s Ministry of Justice Department.
- The title of Queen’s Counsel is usually awarded to lawyers possessing demonstrated skill and expertise in the conduct of advocacy. The
appointment is done by the Queen, on the advice of the Lord Chancellor. He is advised by an independent Selection Panel which makes recommendations.
Lt Col Yuvraj Malik appointed as the Director of the National Book Trust
- Lt Col Yuvraj Malik has been appointed the Director of the National Book Trust (NBT) on deputation from the Indian Army.
- He replaced Sahitya Akademi-awardee writer Rita Chowdhury. National Book Trust (NBT) works under the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD).
Sindhi writer Vasdev Mohi to be conferred with 29th Saraswati Samman
- Eminent Sindhi writer Vasdev Mohi will be conferred with 29th Saraswati Samman. He has been selected for this prestigious literary award for his short stories collection- Chequebook. This short stories collection talks about the agonies and sufferings of marginalized sections of the society.
- Saraswati Samman carries a cash award of 15 lakh rupees, a citation and a plaque. Mr Mohi has authored 25 books of poetry, stories and translations. He has also received Sahitya Akademi Award.
Indian scientist Sakya Singha Sen awarded “Merck Young Scientist Award 2019
- Indian scientist Sakya Singha Sen from National Chemical Laboratory (CSIR-NCL) Pune, has been awarded “Merck Young Scientist Award 2019” for doing remarkable research in chemical science.
- This award is instituted by Merck, a science and technology company operating worldwide. Sen and his research team specializes in main group chemistry and involves in the synthesis of compounds with main group element and their catalytic application.
India successfully launches high power communication satellite GSAT-30
- India’s high power communication satellite GSAT-30 was successfully launched onboard Ariane 5 rocket from French Guiana early today morning.
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) said the GSAT-30 is aimed at providing high-quality television, telecommunications and broadcasting services.
- The 3,357-kg GSAT-30 derives its heritage from ISRO’s earlier INSAT/GSAT satellite series, and is equipped with 12 C and 12 Ku band transponders. GSAT-30 will serve as replacement to the aging INSAT-4A spacecraft services with enhanced coverage.