Daily Current Affairs – 16 February 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
Arvind Kejriwal takes oath as CM of Delhi
- Arvind Kejriwal takes oath as Chief Minister of Delhi for the third consecutive time in Ramlila Maidan.
- Mr. Kejriwal had earlier taken the oath of Chief Minister in 2013 and 2015 in the Ramlila Maidan. Ramlila Maidan served as the battleground for the 51-year-old bureaucrat turned-politician during India Against Corruption movement in 2011.
- Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal administered the oath of office and secrecy to Mr. Kejriwal and his Cabinet colleagues.
PM Modi to inaugurate UN Convention on Migratory Species
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the 13th Conference of Parties (COP) of the Convention on the Conservation of Migratory Species of Wild Animals (CMS) at Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- The theme of the Conference is “Migratory species connect the planet and we welcome them home.”
‘Pyaar ka Paudha’ campaign launched by Bihar govt to encourage practice of planting trees
- ‘Pyaar ka Paudha’ (a plant of love) campaign has been launched by the Bihar government’s Department of Environment and Forest in Patna, to encourage the practice of planting trees in the state.
- The environment department has appealed to the people to gift the plant of love to their close ones as it will be alive for years & also stalls of Patna plants have been planted for this purpose.
Gandhinagar railway station to have 5-star hotel
- In a first of its kind in India, the Indian Railways is going to build a five-star hotel above the railway tracks in the station.
Gandhinagar will be the first railway station to have a 5-star facility above the tracks.
- Railways has allowed for pillars to come on the tracks to form the ceiling which will allow for the hotel to be constructed on top.
- The five-star hotel, which will be run by the Leela Group, is expected to be completed by December this year.
- It’s a unique model, the design has been made in a way that no vibrations or noise from the trains on the tracks below will be felt by the occupants of the hotel.
- The 5-star hotel will have over 300 rooms with the ground floor 22 metres above the ground.
- The entire Gandhinagar station will have 3 towers that will give the impression of petals from an aerial view.
Arunachal Pradesh govt to form panel for Stilwell Road Development
- Arunachal Pradesh Deputy Chief Minister Chowna Mein stated that the state government will form a committee on Stilwell Road Development and would appeal Govt. of India for prioritizing on restoration of the road.
- He stated both India and Myanmar would be mutually beneficial by the road, further deepening the age old cultural linkage and help promoting spiritual tourism.
- Mein reiterated that North East region is the gateway to the ASEAN countries.
- He stated the re-opening of the Stilwell Road would also act as catalyst for cross border trade.
- The Historic Ledo Road or Stilwell Road was constructed by the Allied Soldiers lead by America during the Second World War.
- The road links northeastern India with the Burma Road (Myanmar), and from Myanmar to China. It started from Ledo, in Assam, passing through Lekhapani, Nampong and the Pangsau pass in Arunachal Pradesh on the India-Myanmar border.
Manipur: Seed sowing festival ‘Lui-Ngai-Ni’ celebrated at Ukhrul
- The Naga tribes of Manipur celebrated it’s seed sowing festival ‘Lui-Ngai-Ni’, under the theme “Oneness through Culture”, with much fanfare at Tangkhul Naga Long (TNL) ground in Ukhrul.
- Leaders from other communities of the State, mainly Meitei, Kuki and Zomi also participated at Lui-Ngai-Ni Festival to show mutual solidarity for peaceful co-existence.
- Manipur Chief Minister Nongthombam Biren Singh stated, Lui-Ngai-Ni reflects the rich cultural heritage of the Nagas and expressed the hope that the festival usher joy, happiness, prosperity and strengthen the bond of oneness and brotherhood among all communities
DMart’s Radhakishan Damani is second richest man in India: Forbes
- Riding on the ongoing stock rally of Avenue Supermarts, founder Radhakishan Damani has become the second most richest in India, behind Reliance Industries’s Mukesh Ambani ($57.4 billion).
- According to Forbes’ Real-Time Billionaires Index, the total net worth of Damani is at $17.8 billion.
- Damani’s net worth surged to nearly 16 per cent jump in Avenue Supermart’s DMart shares over the past 10 days.
- Avenue Supermarts is the most profitable grocery retailer in India and has 196 stores across the country.
- Damani got into retailing in 2002 with one store in suburban Mumbai and has been unstoppable since.
- He was also a mentor to billionaire investor Rakesh Jhunjhunwala.
India, Norway to strengthen bilateral cooperation to contain marine pollution
- Union Minister for Environment Forests and Climate Change Prakash Javadekar stated, the year 2020 will be a Super Year for Environment.
- He stated, India has initiated Ocean dialogue with Norway to address the problem of Marine Plastic litter.
- Both countries decided to strengthen the bilateral cooperation in the field of environment and climate change particularly in the field of marine pollution.
- Both countries discussed ways to ensure that the coming decade will be of rapid global action on the Environment.
- India and Norway have formed joint working groups on Blue economy with sustainable development.
- That both the ministers issued a joint statement after the meeting which envisages joint efforts in dealing with challenges of climate change, sharing of technology and research and development in the field of environment.
BANKING & FINANCE
Simplified tax compliance regime to be rolled out by April 1: Nirmala Sitharaman
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman stated that simplified tax compliance regime will be rolled out by April 1st, this year.
- Addressing economists and experts as part of Jan Jan Ka Budget held in Hyderabad the minister directed senior officials to conduct district level interactions in person to clear all GST related issues of traders and industry people.
- The Finance Minister also stated, the state governments are also on board with the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) and the state governments also have the responsibility to create awareness about GST.
- The Finance Minister stated that many aspects have been taken into consideration before imposing cess and taxes in the Budget 2020-21.
- Minister made it clear that the 5 per cent cess on imports of Medical equipment is applicable to only those equipment which are also produced in India.
- She further stated, the cess collected will be spent on creating medical infrastructure like hospitals in tier-two and tier-three cities in the country.
IRDAI to set up common electronic platform to settle health insurance claims
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) is looking at setting up a common electronic platform for settling health insurance claims.
- The platform, which is expected to come up soon, will help standardise settlements and ensure that they are done within a specific period of time.
- IRDAI has already formed a committee on this, and the platform will be developed by the Insurance Information Bureau.
- The idea of forming this platform is (to ensure) that all are there on a single platform, that is the insurer, insured, and hospitals – and the claims will be processed on this platform.
- This will give a rich wealth of data, apart from standardising settlement and ensuring that settlements are done within a specific period in time, stated at a health insurance summit organised by Assocham.
Summit & Conference
Indian-origin minister Alok Sharma to lead UN climate summit
- Indian-origin Alok Sharma was named the new UK Minister in charge of the crunch UN climate talks to be hosted by Britain.
- He has been promoted to the post of Secretary of State for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy in UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Cabinet reshuffle.
Difficult Dialogues 2020
- The fifth edition of Difficult Dialogues will be held from February 14 to February 16 at the International Centre Goa, Dona Paula.
- The conference will see leading experts, policymakers, politicians, lawyers, judges and academicians gather to discuss the state of law.
- The conference is organised in partnership with the University of Oxford (UK), the Bar Association of India, Centre for Study of Law and Governance at Jawaharlal Nehru University, OP Jindal Global University, PLAN India, PHIA, International Centre Goa, Goa University and VM Salgaocar College of Law.
All India Conference of Central Administrative Tribunal 2020 held in New Delhi
- The annual All India Conference of the Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT) was held in New Delhi.
- The one day conference was attended by Judicial and Administrative Members from all 17 Benches of CAT from across the country, members of the CAT Bar Association and eminent Jurists, who deliberated on key issues related to the functioning of the Tribunal and priorities for 2020.
- The Conference was presided over by Union Minister for Law and Justice, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad.
- It is a platform to discuss issues related to the work of CAT, including structural and institutional issues, the functioning of administrative tribunals in other legal systems and methodology for the functioning of the tribunal among others.
Vinay Dube appointed as GoAir CEO
- Wadia group-promoted GoAir has appointedVinay Dube as the airline’s Chief Executive Officer.
- Dube would be responsible for the management of the airline and also for meeting the goals and long-term growth objectives of the company.
- Earlier, Dube has served as Senior Vice President-Asia Pacific at Delta Air Lines, CEO at Delta Technology LLC, Vice President-Consulting & Marketing Solutions at Sabre Airline Solutions, among other positions.
Dr Sohini Sastri wins Best Astrologer of the Year at Indian Achievers Award ceremony
- Kolkata-born renowned astrologer Dr Sohini Sastri, has been graced with prestigious Indian Achievers Award, wherein she was adjudged the Best Astrologer of the Year.
- The award was presented to Dr Sohini Sastri by Union HRD Minister, Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal, in a special ceremony conducted at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
- Dr Sohini Sastri is an internationally acclaimed Astrologer by profession. She has won various national and international awards for her professional and social initiatives on society.
- She received the prestigious “Champions of Change” award from former President, Dr Pranab Mukherjee, “Pride of the Nation” award from the Defence Minister of India, Rajnath Singh and the “Brilliance Award” from the Governor of Uttarakhand, Baby Rani Maurya.
- Rajendra Indraman Singh, Founder & Chairperson of Priyadarshini Group of Schools & Colleges has been awarded the Indian Achievers Award (IAA) in recognition of his “Outstanding Contribution to Indian Education”.
Scientist from CDRI gets Tata Innovation Fellowship
- Dr Ritu Trivedi, Principal Scientist from Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI) has been conferred with prestigious Tata Innovation Fellowship for the year 2019-2020.
- The fellowship has been given to her in recognition of her contributions in translational research by innovative scientific knowledge and platform technologies.
- Major scientific contributions of Dr Trivedi are in the area of Metabolic Bone Disorders, specifically post-menopausal osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.
- Her work has led to pipeline of potential products from natural resources and small molecules for improvement of bone health.
- Out of these, one compound antiresorptive agent had shown promise for the treatment of osteoporosis accompanying menopause and other estrogen deficiency conditions and which has got Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) approval for clinical trial.