Daily Current Affairs – 15 February 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
Gandhinagar railway station to have 5-star hotel
- In a first of its kind in India, the Indian Railways is going to build a five-star hotel above the railway tracks in the station.
Gandhinagar will be the first railway station to have a 5-star facility above the tracks.
- Railways has allowed for pillars to come on the tracks to form the ceiling which will allow for the hotel to be constructed on top.
- The five-star hotel, which will be run by the Leela Group, is expected to be completed by December this year.
- It’s a unique model, the design has been made in a way that no vibrations or noise from the trains on the tracks below will be felt by the occupants of the hotel.
- The 5-star hotel will have over 300 rooms with the ground floor 22 metres above the ground.
- The entire Gandhinagar station will have 3 towers that will give the impression of petals from an aerial view.
- The three towers will have 6, 8 and 10 levels with the hotel making the station one of the tallest buildings in the city.
- The railway station will have a revamped station building with concourse areas that will boast retail shops, food courts etc for the comfort of passengers.
“Operation Nakail” for Auto-rickshaws in Ghaziabad
- The Ghaziabad police launched ‘Operation Nakail’ under which the identity of all auto-rickshaw drivers will be verified and a unique four-digit number will be allotted to them.
- The drivers will be required to get the unique number printed on the front, left, right and rear side of the auto-rickshaws.
- Customers can file complaints using the number if they face any harassment.
Kiren Rijiju announces Ladakh and J&K will host Khelo India Winter Games 2020
- Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju has announced Khelo India winter games 2020 which will be held in the Union Territory of Ladakh later this month followed by a similar event in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir in March.
Nobel Prize awardee Rajendra Kumar Pachauri passed away
- Former Chairman and Director General of The Energy Resources Institute (TERI) Rajindra Kumar Pachauri passed away.
- He was born on 20 August 1940 in Nainital, Uttarakhand. He chaired the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) panel from 2002 until he resigned in 2015 after an employee at his research firm accused him of sexual harassment. Pachauri received the Nobel Peace Prize on behalf of the IPCC, with the former United States (US) Vice President, Al Gore, for the year 2007.
- He also received Padma Vibhushan in 2008 & Padma Bhushan in 2001 from the Government of India.
BANKING & FINANCE
Bank of Russia gives license to GIC Re for reinsurance business
India’s reinsurance company, General Insurance Corporation of India (GIC Re) has received the license from Central Bank of the Russian Federation (Bank of Russia) to commence reinsurance business in Russia.
ISRO G Narayanan to head space PSU NSIL
- Veteran space scientist G Narayanan has been named the chairman of Indian Space Research Organisation’s newly formed commercial entity New Space India Ltd (NSIL).
- He was earlier working as deputy director (systems reliability and quality assurance) at the Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre (LPSC), a Thiruvananthapuram-based unit of Isro that designs, develops liquid propulsion stages for launch vehicles.
India’s pioneering feminist Gita Sen wins Dan David Prize 2020
- Indian feminist scholar, activist Gita Sen has won the prestigious Dan David Prize 2020 under “present” category.
- She has worked hard in the fields of women’s rights, reproductive and sexual health and poverty eradication.
- Sen is the director of the Ramalingaswami Centre on Equity and Social Determinants of Health at the Public Health Foundation of India.
BioAsia 2020 announces Genome Valley Excellence Award
- BioAsia 2020 has announced the Genome Valley Excellence Award. American immunologist and oncologist Dr. Carl H June and Novartis CEO Dr. Vasant Narsimhan will be presented this award for their contributions to life sciences.
- The function will be organized by the Telangana government annual global biotechnology & life sciences forum.