Daily Current Affairs – 13 February 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
World Radio Day is celebrated on 13 February
- World Radio Day 2020 celebrates the radio as a method for teaching individuals, giving data, and promoting the opportunity of expression across cultures.
- The theme of World Radio Day 2020 is “Radio and Diversity”.
- Under the theme “radio and diversity,” UNESCO’s 2020 edition of World Radio Day will focus on radio’s responsibility as “a platform for democratic discourse.”
Largest air quality monitoring network of India to be installed in Mumbai
- The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has approved the setting up of an air quality monitoring network of 90 stations in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Haryana launches ‘Reading Mission’ initiative
- The state government of Haryana has launched an initiative called ‘Reading Mission- Haryana’.
- The initiative was launched to encourage reading habit among the young students of the state.
- The scheme is on the lines of the ‘Reading Mission 2022’, launched by the central government.
- Under the state’s initiative, monthly book review sessions and mass book reading are to be organised by students in educational institutions.
Union Cabinet approves Pesticide Management Bill 2020
- Union Cabinet has approved the Pesticide Management Bill 2020.
- Briefing reporters in New Delhi , Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar stated, the legislation will promote organic pesticides in the country.
- Major Ports Authority Bill to enhance overall efficiencies of the ports was cleared by the Cabinet.
- Cabinet has also approved changes in the Direct Tax Vivad se Vishwas Bill, 2020.
- The bill seeks to increase its scope to cover litigations pending in various debt recovery tribunals (DRTs).
NHAI to waive off FASTag cost between 15-29 Feb
- National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has decided to waive off the FASTag cost of 100 rupees for NHAI FASTag between 15th to 29th of this month.
- Road users can visit any authorized physical point-of-sale locations with a valid Registration Certificate (RC) of the vehicle and get an NHAI FASTag free of cost.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister inaugurates SCF cricket ground near Salem
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K. Palaniswamy along with National Cricket Academy Head and Former Indian cricketer Rahul Dravid inaugurated the Salem Cricket Foundation (SCF) Ground with international standards at Kattuvepplaipatti in Vazhappadi near Salem.
- The ground has five well maintained Turf Wickets and 12 practice turf wickets, a player pavilion, press box etc. It has sight screens of International Match Dimensions.
UK’s start-up launches 1st big batch of satellites
- The UK-based OneWeb company has sent 34 satellites into orbit on a single Soyuz rocket, from Baikonur port, Kazakhstan.
- The aims are to have the full network in operation by the end of 2021.
New educational institution built with Indian assistance inaugurated in Nepal
- A new educational institution building constructed with Government of India financial assistance for students from the economically weaker sections was inaugurated in a remote area of Gulmi district in Nepal.
- The new three-storey building with Indian assistance of 5 crore rupees is part of the Chandrakot Campus under the Tribhuvan University.
Mobile World Congress cancelled over coronavirus fears
- The Mobile World Congress, the annual telecoms industry gathering that draws more than one lakh visitors to Barcelona, was cancelled over coronavirus fears.
- The event was hosted by the Global System for Mobile Communications (GSMA) telecoms association.
BANKING & FINANCE
Finance Ministry notifies ‘Printing of One Rupee Currency Notes Rules, 2020’
- The Union Ministry of Finance has notified ‘Printing of One Rupee Currency Notes Rules, 2020’ vide Gazzette Notification G.S.R. 95(E) dated February 7, 2020.
- “The One Rupee notes shall be printed at the note printing presses for issue under the authority of Government of India for circulation.
Nasscom’s IT revenue grows at 7.7 per cent in FY20
- The National Association of Software and Services Companies (Nasscom) projected the Indian IT sector to grow 7 per cent to reach $191 billion in FY20, with exports reaching $147 billion, and headcount addition accelerating from the previous year.
- This is a marginal improvement over its prediction of 2018, when it said that the IT sector will only grow by 6.1 per cent but the sector is still ‘cautiously optimistic’ about FY21, the industry body pointed out.
- While the global economy has been moving at a sluggish pace, Indian economy only grew at 8 per cent and exports stood at $644 billion.
Summit & Conference
National Workshop on e-office held in New Delhi
- National Workshop on e-office was inaugurated in New Delhi by Union Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Dr Jitendra Singh. During the National Workshop on e-office, Centralized Public Grievance Redress And Monitoring System (CPGRAMS) Reforms also launched by the minister.
Mumbai will host “Disaster Risk Financing, Insurance and Risk Transfer” Workshop
- National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM) will organize the “National Workshop on Disaster Risk Financing, Insurance and Risk Transfer” in partnership with Insurance Institute of India.
- The workshop will be held in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise 2020 begins in Bhubaneswar
- BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise 2020 has been started in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) is organizing the BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise 2020 on behalf of the Government of India.
- The BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise was inaugurated by Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
Atul Kumar Gupta is the new ICAI President
- Atul Kumar Gupta will be the new President of the Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICAI)for the year 2020-21.
- Nihar Niranjan Jambusaria has been elected as the Vice President of the ICAI for 2020-21. They were elected at a meeting of the central council in New Delhi
- Atul Gupta, who has served the chartered accountancy profession for about two decades, was the Vice President of ICAI for the term 2019-20. He is a commerce and a law graduate by education.
South Indian Bank bagged two awards at the Banking Technology 2019 awards by IBA
- South Indian Bank has bagged two awards at the Banking Technology 2019 awards instituted by the Indian Banks’ Association.
- This event was held in Indian Bank Association’s 15th Annual Banking Technology Conference, Expo and Awards held in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- The South Indian Bank emerged the winner in the ‘Most Customer-Centric Bank Using Technology’ category and runner up in the ‘Best Payments Initiative’ category amongst small Banks’.
Science & Technology
NASA says it wants next generation of astronauts to walk on Moon, journey to Mars
- NASA says it wants the next generation of astronauts to walk on the Moon and journey to Mars.
- The US Space Agency announced that it is seeking to add its astronaut corps as part of plans to dramatically expand its crewed space missions in the coming years.
- The corps currently stands at 48 active personnel.
- NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine stated the agency is celebrating its 20th year of continuous presence aboard the International Space Station (ISS) in low-Earth orbit this year.
DRDO developing new strike range Pranash ballistic missile
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has started developing a 200-km strike range tactical ballistic missile ‘Pranash’.
- The missile is an advanced version of the 150-km strike range Prahar missile which was being developed for tactical missions.
- The surface-to-surface ballistic missile will be of use for the Air Force and Army.
- It is a solid-propellant surface to a surface missile which can travel at the speed of Mach 2.