Daily Current Affairs – 5 February 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
India’s biggest rural technical festival ‘Antahpragnya 2020’ kicks off
- India’s biggest rural technical festival titled ‘Antahpragnya 2020’ held in Rajiv Gandhi University of Knowledge Technologies (RGUKT), Basar, Nirmal District, Telangana.
- Theme for the year 2020 was “Spot and encourage rural tech innovators”.
GoI unveils new vaccine to control classical swine fever
- The government of India unveiled a new indigenously developed vaccine for controlling classical swine fever (CSF).
- CSF is a highly contagious fatal pig disease.
- The new vaccine, developed by Uttar Pradesh-based Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)-Indian Veterinary Research Institute (IVRI), will be much cheaper than the existing one.
72nd Independence Day celebrated by Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka celebrated its 72nd Independence Day on 4th February 2020.
- On this day, Sri Lanka became an independent nation after getting independence from Britain.
- Military parades and air shows were the most attractive points of the Sri Lankan Independence Day celebrations held in Colombo.
UK to ban new petrol car sales from 2035
- Britain will bring forward a ban on sales of new petrol and diesel vehicles to 2035, including hybrids.
- Prime Minister Boris Johnson will make the announcement at an event launching the 2019 United Nations Climate Change conference, COP26, to be held in Glasgow in November.
- The changes bring forward the ban by five years — and now include hybrid vehicles.
- Britain has pledged to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2050, with a mixture of cuts and off-setting pollution measures such as planting trees.
Mo O’Brien becomes the 1st deaf person to row Atlantic Ocean
- Mo O’Brien (60 years) has become the first deaf person on record to row an ocean by finishing a 3,000-mile journey across the Atlantic with her daughter Bird Watts, and their friend Claire Allinson.
BANKING & FINANCE
38 Cr bank accounts opened under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana till last month: MoS Anurag Thakur
- Around 38 crore bank accounts have been opened under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana till last month.
- Minister of State for Finance, Anurag Thakur stated, out of 38 crore accounts, around 31 crore accounts are operative and the number of these accounts has increased every year since the launch of the scheme.
Summit & Conference
India to host EAS conference in Chennai
- India is set to host an East Asia Summit conference in Chennai with a focus on maritime security cooperation and tackling challenges in the maritime domain.
- As announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the 14th East Asia Summit (EAS) in Bangkok in November 2019, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), in partnership with the governments of Australia and Indonesia, will organise the fourth
- EAS Conference on Maritime Security Cooperation in Chennai.
Gopal Baglay becomes India’s next Ambassador to Sri Lanka
- Gopal Baglay has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka.
- He will replace Taranjit Sandhu.
Deepa Malik becomes president of Paralympic Committee of India
- Para-athlete and India’s lone woman Paralympic medallist Deepa Malik has been elected as president of Paralympic Committee of India.
- She was elected unopposed as president in the PCI polls held in Bengaluru.
Pramod Agrawal takes over as Coal India Chairman
- Pramod Agrawal assumed charge as the new chairman and managing director of Coal India Ltd.
- He was the successor of Anil Kumar Jha who retired on 31st January 2020.
Science & Technology
L&T MBDA Missile System sets up integration facility in Tamil Nadu
- L&T MBDA Missile Systems (LTMMSL) has set up a missile (inert) integration facility at Tamil Nadu.
- LTMMSL is a joint venture between engineering and construction major L&T and the European defence company MBDA.
- L&T owns 51% stake in LTMMSL while MBDA has 49%.