Daily Current Affairs – 4 February 2020
Daily Current Affairs :- Current Affairs section is the most important part of almost every competitive exam whether be it SSC, Banking , Insurance or State PCS examination. In this post candidates will find the important national and international news from the exam point of view. These news are incorporated from different sources like The Hindu newspaper , The Indian express and Press information Bureau (PIB).Here, is the current affairs for 17 January 2020.
World Cancer Day observed globally on 4 February
- Every year on 4 February World Cancer Day is observed globally and is celebrated by WHO to aware people of the disease Cancer.
- 2020 theme is ‘I Am and I Will’.
11th DefExpo 2020 to be held in Lucknow
- The 11th edition of the biennial mega defence exhibition, DefExpo 2020, will begin on 5 February at Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh.
- The main theme of DefExpo India-2020 will be “India: the emerging defence manufacturing hub”.
Punjab government bans sale of online lottery schemes to check illegal sales
- Punjab Cabinet led by Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh decided to ban the sale of all types of online lottery schemes in the state.
- The ban on ‘Online Lottery Schemes’, under section 5 of the Lotteries (Regulation) Act 1998, would not only check the spread of illegal lottery business, which was proliferating under the guise of online lotteries but also give a boost to the state’s tax and non-tax revenue.
India’s biggest rural technical festival Antahpragnya 2020
- National Level India’s Biggest Rural Technical Festival titled Antahpragnya 2020 in the state of Telangana atRajiv Gandhi University of Knowledge Technologies-Basar (RGUKT-Basar).
- Rural areas cannot afford to miss the development bus. Most of the developments in the two lakh years have taken place in the last century.
723 Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras established till Jan 2020
- Government stated that as on January this year, 723 Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras (PMKK) have been established in the country.
- Skill development and entrepreneurship Minister Dr Mahendra Nath Pandey stated his ministry is implementing demand driven scheme, Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) 2016-20 for short duration skill development training.
- The minister informed the House that DGFT under skill development ministry is also implementing long duration vocational courses through industrial training institutes.
India bans exports of all kinds of personal protection equipment
- India has banned exports of all kinds of personal protection equipment, including clothing and masks used to protect people from air borne particles.
- The move assumes significance as there could be a spurt in demand for such products due to outbreak of novel Corona virus that has claimed more than 200 lives in China while the number of confirmed cases reached near 10 thousand.
Maldives rejoins Commonwealth as 54th member
- Maldives has returned to Commonwealth after its exit in 2016 and hence, has become the 54th member of the global body.
- The inclusion of Maldives into Commonwealth become effective from one minute past midnight on 1 February just after the exit of United Kingdom from the European union.
Iraqi president appoints Mohammad Tawfiq Allawi as prime minister
- Mohammed Tawfiq Allawi was appointed as Iraq’s new Prime Minister by President Barhim Salih.
- He will replace Adil Abdul-Mahdi who resigned in November 2019 due to anti-government protests.
BANKING & FINANCE
Paytm launches Android POS device for SMEs & merchant partners
- Paytm has launched an Android POS device for small and medium businesses (SMEs) & merchant partners.
- The android based device will enable the merchants to accept payments in various ways like debit and credit cards, Paytm Wallet, UPI-based apps and cash.
Fitch predicts India’s FY21 GDP growth at 5.6 per cent
- Fitch Ratings stated India is expected to clock a GDP growth of 6 per cent in the next financial year, lower than the projection made by the government’s Economic Survey, as Budget 2020 has not “materially altered” its view on the country’s growth outlook.
- The Economic Survey, released a day before Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman presented Union Budget for 2020-21 on February 1, had projected a GDP growth of 6-6.5 per cent, up from 5 per cent estimate for 2019-20.
Insurance on bank deposits hiked to Rs 5 lakh
- To create confidence among depositors that their money is safe with commercial banks, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in her Budget speech proposed to hike the bank deposit insurance in scheduled commercial banks to Rs 5 lakh per depositor from the current Rs 1 lakh.
- The long-overdue move comes only several incidents, the prominent being a fraud of Rs 4,355 crore unfolded at Punjab and Maharashtra Co-operative (PMC) Bank, created a sort of panic among investors.
Summit & Conference
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh addresses Third Defence Attachés Conference in New Delhi
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has stated that terrorism poses a serious challenge, but India has displayed that it can disrupt and deter terrorist groups and their patrons.
- He was addressing the Third Defence Attachés Conference in New Delhi.
- On DefExpo-2020, the Minister stated, opportunities will increase with the establishment of two industrial corridors in Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh.
- He added that a large country like India cannot restrict its defence cooperation to a few countries and efforts should be made to expand it continuously.
Govt. of India appoints M Ajit Kumar as chairman of CBIC
- The government of India has appointed M Ajit Kumar as chairman of the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the appointment.
Canara Bank gets new MD and CEO
- LV Prabhakar has assumed office as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Canara Bank.
- Prabhakar was earlier the Executive Director at Punjab National Bank.
Ajay Bisaria becomes India’s next Ambassador to Canada
- Ajay Bisaria has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to Canada.
- He is presently served as High Commissioner of India to Pakistan.
- He will replace Vikas Swarup.
Deepa Malik elected Paralympic Committee of India president
- Decorated para-athlete and India’s lone woman Paralympic medallist Deepa Malik has been elected as president of Paralympic Committee of India
- The 49-year-old, who won a silver in shot put F-53 event in the 2016 Rio Paralympic Games, was elected unopposed as president in the PCI polls held in Bengaluru.
Madhya Pradesh bags first position for implementation of PMMVY
- Madhya Pradesh has bagged the first position for the implementation of Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana.
- Union Minister of Women and Child Development Smriti Irani will present this award to Madhya Pradesh at a function in New Delhi.
- Madhya Pradesh Minister for Women and Child Development Imarti Devi and Principal Secretary Anupam Rajan will receive the award.
- Indore district has also bagged the first place for better performance of the scheme.
Vinod Shukla wins 1st Mathrubhumi Book of the Year award
- Noted Hindi poet-novelist and Sahitya Akademi honouree Vinod Kumar Shukla has won the inaugural Mathrubhumi Book of the Year award for his translated book “Blue Is Like Blue“.
Waheeda Rehman to be honoured with Kishore Kumar Samman
- The Veteran actor Waheeda Rehman will be honoured the Madhya Pradesh government’s National Kishore Kumar Samman.
2020 EE British Academy Film Awards
|2||OUTSTANDING BRITISH FILM||1917|
|3||OUTSTANDING DEBUT BY A BRITISH WRITER, DIRECTOR OR PRODUCER||Mark Jenkin (Writer/Director), Kate Byers, Linn Waite (Producers) (Movie: Bait)|
|4||FILM NOT IN THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE||Parasite|
|7||DIRECTOR||Sam Mendes (1917)|
|8||ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY||Han Jin Won, Bong Joon Ho (Parasite)|
|9||ADAPTED SCREENPLAY||Jojo Rabbit|
|10||LEADING ACTRESS||Renee Zellweger (Judy)|
|11||LEADING ACTOR||Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)|
|12||SUPPORTING ACTRESS||Laura Dern (Marriage Story)|
|13||SUPPORTING ACTOR||Brad Pitt (Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood)|
|17||EDITING||LE MANS ’66|
|19||COSTUME DESIGN||Jacqueline Durran (Little Women)|
|20||MAKE UP & HAIR||Vivian Baker, Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan (Bombshell)|
|22||SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS||1917|
|23||BRITISH SHORT ANIMATION||Grandad Was A Romantic|
|24||BRITISH SHORT FILM||Learning To Skateboard In A Warzone (IF YOU’RE A GIRL)|
|25||EE RISING STAR AWARD||Micheal Ward|