Anglo Nepal War (1814-1816)
Anglo Nepal war was fought between Nepalese Army led by Bhimsen Thapa on one side and British army aided by Kingdom of Patiala , Garhwal and Sikkim on the other side.
Reasons of the Battle
- To exploit the rich natural resources of forests in Nepal.
- Britishers want to take economic relations with Tibet but it was not possible because it requires passage through Nepalese territory for which Nepal was not in favor.
- Climate of Nepal suited Britishers a lot. They found the tropical climate of India too oppressive.
Occupation of territory of Butwal and Syuraj by the Ruler of Nepal, Bhimsen Thapa during the reign of Lord Hastings(1813-1823).The war started in 1814 and it went on for nearly 2 years till 1816. “Treaty of Sagauli“(Ratified on 4th march 1816) concluded the war.
Terms of the treaty
- Garhwal , Kumaon & Sikkim came under British control.
- Nepal accepted British resident. at Kathmandu and Gorkhas were allowed to get recruitment in British Army.
- Nepal was debarred to allow any European in its service.
Consequences of the treaty
- British empire reached the Himalayas.
- Gorkhas played an important role in suppressing 1857 revolt.
- New route for Central Asia got opened.